cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Mold and scrud in my top loader washer

I have a top loader washer that is turning up chunks of brown mold/mildew/scrud in the bottom of the drum. I have done several self-clean cycles with everything from vinegar to bleach to washing machine cleaners and every time I open the lid after the cycle, there is more brown/black chunks laying in the bottom of the drum and along the walls. After doing some light research, it seems I am definitely not the first person to experience this issue, even with a 2 year old washer. What are some solutions? I pulled out the agitator and there is a thick wall of mold/mildew in between the plastic piece and metal piece of the agitator that I physically cannot get to. Do I have to order a whole new part? Any suggestions from Samsung would be greatly appreciated. Also, if so many people have complained about this issue, why isn't Samsung doing anything about it??

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Mold and scrud in my top loader washer

I'm sorry to hear that, just to confirm have you attempted the troubleshooting steps below? 

1. Run the Self Clean cycle.

1. Make sure there is not any laundry in the tub, and remove any remaining water in the tub by running a Spin-only cycle.
    2. Pour liquid chlorine bleach into the detergent compartment and fill it to the max line. (Do not use the bleach compartment.)
    3. Close the lid or door and press the Power button.
    4. Select Self CleanSelf Clean+, or Pure Cycle.
    5. Press the Start/Pause button to start. Self Clean time varies from model to model, but is approximately 1 hour for top load washers and 4 hours for front load washers.
    6. When Self Clean completes, wipe clean any residue in the tub using paper towels.
    7. Run a Rinse+Spin cycle to remove any remaining residue.
    8. Repeat 2 - 7 until there is no more visible mold residue.
    9. Leave the lid or door open to let the washing machine dry.
  2. Clean the pump filter (front load models only).

Most front loaders have a pump filter on the front, near the bottom, behind a panel.

If the pump filter is not cleaned regularly, it will cause odors. See our guide for cleaning a washer for instructions.

If this does not help then can you send me a private message with your full model and serial number and pictures of your symptoms? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Stop posting this it DOES NOT WORK.

Anyone intersted in starting a class action?

Highlighted
Constellation

Did Samsung reach out to you directly? They reached out to me asking for the receipt, purchase info, etc. and I am wondering if I am going to get anywhere with that path.

Highlighted
Constellation

I have the same issue.  I have run the self clean cycle all day yesterday, and just began another one today.  I can't do laundry because it will ruin our clothes,  and it's going to make my water bill sky high.  Every time I run the cycle it's just as nasty as it was the other nearly dozen times I've run it.  

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Oh no! Please send a private message with the model code and the serial number so I may look into this further. http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.