cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Mold trapped in and under agitator flaking into laundry and making my kid sick!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a 3 1/2 year old Samsung top loader active wash aqua jet vrt and was having trouble getting towels to smell clean and had started seeing dirt in freshly “washed” loads.  We now have flaky brown residue come up in every wash, even after multiple self-clean cycles.  We pulled up the agitator and found tons of mold in and around the bottom.

There is no way to clean under the non-stainless piece beneath the agitator and there is mold between the plastic and stainless agitator with no way to separate and clean.

My son has terrible eczema and mold allergies and has had constant congestion.  Now I know why.  I do not want a technician because it is plain to see from what we discovered -and the many posts and comments online- that this is unfixable beyond replacing entire pieces.  I want a refund or a new unit that does not come with preexisting design and safety flaws.  

This is the first new washing machine I have ever purchased and I have lived in many rentals with old decrepit machines previous to this.  They were all superior to this product which, instead of cleaning our clothes, it actually contaminates and stains them with mold.  One quick wipe of the gunk.

This is the plastic attached to underside of agitator. No way to clean beyond the holes.  Mold remains in layer between.

Image of mold beneath the plastic layer.  No way to detach and clean.

After removing agitator this is a view of what was beneath.  There is no way to clean the underside of the non-stainless piece.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Mold trapped in and under agitator flaking into laundry and making my kid sick!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for reaching out to us! I know you have tried the SELF CLEAN but humor me and try the following:

To keep your washer tub clean, use the SELF CLEAN cycle at least once a month or every 20 cycles.
Perform the recommended procedures below when using the SELF CLEAN cycle. On 2011–2013 models, the SELF CLEAN cycle is labeled “Pure Cycle.”
Remove all items from the washer tub and ensure the tub is empty. Laundry left in the tub during the SELF CLEAN cycle may be damaged.
Press Power to turn on the washer.
Turn the Cycle Selector to SELF CLEAN (or select Pure Cycle).
Press and hold Start/Pause (Hold to Start).
After the SELF CLEAN cycle, leave the lid open to dry.
The water temperature for SELF CLEAN is set to Hot and cannot be changed.
When noticeable residue is present in the washer tub, add 1 cup (8 fl.oz or 240ml) of liquid chlorine bleach to the bleach compartment before you start the SELF CLEAN cycle.
Do not use or mix any other detergent or chemicals during the SELF CLEAN cycle. If necessary, run a RINSE+SPIN cycle after the SELF CLEAN cycle has completed to help remove any residual residue.
Please be aware that certain usage and environmental conditions may result in residue build-up or odor in the washer tub.

Caution:
Check the washer tub before using the SELF CLEAN cycle. Remove any water remaining in the tub by running the SPIN ONLY cycle before starting the SELF CLEAN cycle.
If there is chlorine bleach left in the washer tub for an extended period of time, rust can occur.

If you have additional questions you can go here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01108629/
 Or reach out to me or another Moderator in a direct message! https://bit.ly/2tWAAvS

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Mold trapped in and under agitator flaking into laundry and making my kid sick!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry to hear about this. Please send the model and serial numbers to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have this same issue which presented a little over a year ago. I have done the sterilizing wash and we always leave it open after wash to let it air out. as I have little kids, I assumed when I noticed it that food had snuck in but now I know the truth. How does this get fixed by Samsung? It is clearly a design flaw. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sorry to hear that, have you had a chance to try the troubleshooting in the link below? 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01108629/

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same exact issue with the same washing machine!!! Sounds like it is a very common problem. Mine is 4 years old and started contaminating and ruining laundry with mold about 3 months ago. I have performed at least 20 self clean cycles in the past few days alone, with and without bleach. It has gotten worse and worse. In fact, so bad, that I can no longer wash a load of clothes because they get completely ruined! Before the mold became noticeable, I always left the lid open after washing and regularly ran self cleaning cycles. I can't believe what a poorly designed product this is that it would become unusable for this reason in such a short time without anyway to fix or clean it. It's such a health hazard to my family, especially my two young children! Unbelieveable!!! Samsung needs to do something to help remedy this major issue!!!

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for reaching out to us! I know you have tried the SELF CLEAN but humor me and try the following:

To keep your washer tub clean, use the SELF CLEAN cycle at least once a month or every 20 cycles.
Perform the recommended procedures below when using the SELF CLEAN cycle. On 2011–2013 models, the SELF CLEAN cycle is labeled “Pure Cycle.”
Remove all items from the washer tub and ensure the tub is empty. Laundry left in the tub during the SELF CLEAN cycle may be damaged.
Press Power to turn on the washer.
Turn the Cycle Selector to SELF CLEAN (or select Pure Cycle).
Press and hold Start/Pause (Hold to Start).
After the SELF CLEAN cycle, leave the lid open to dry.
The water temperature for SELF CLEAN is set to Hot and cannot be changed.
When noticeable residue is present in the washer tub, add 1 cup (8 fl.oz or 240ml) of liquid chlorine bleach to the bleach compartment before you start the SELF CLEAN cycle.
Do not use or mix any other detergent or chemicals during the SELF CLEAN cycle. If necessary, run a RINSE+SPIN cycle after the SELF CLEAN cycle has completed to help remove any residual residue.
Please be aware that certain usage and environmental conditions may result in residue build-up or odor in the washer tub.

Caution:
Check the washer tub before using the SELF CLEAN cycle. Remove any water remaining in the tub by running the SPIN ONLY cycle before starting the SELF CLEAN cycle.
If there is chlorine bleach left in the washer tub for an extended period of time, rust can occur.

If you have additional questions you can go here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01108629/
 Or reach out to me or another Moderator in a direct message! https://bit.ly/2tWAAvS

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS MORE THSN 20 TIMES IN THE PAST 3 DAYS ALONE!!! IT DOES NOT WORK. The entire bottom of the washer needs to be removed, so the mold can be remediated and compartment cleaned. This is a major design flaw, and it is making my children sick. The self clean cycle with bleach does not work! There are tons of messages on here detailing the same problem!

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION