cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Mold trapped in and under agitator flaking into laundry and making my kid sick!

I have a 3 1/2 year old Samsung top loader active wash aqua jet vrt and was having trouble getting towels to smell clean and had started seeing dirt in freshly “washed” loads.  We now have flaky brown residue come up in every wash, even after multiple self-clean cycles.  We pulled up the agitator and found tons of mold in and around the bottom.

There is no way to clean under the non-stainless piece beneath the agitator and there is mold between the plastic and stainless agitator with no way to separate and clean.

My son has terrible eczema and mold allergies and has had constant congestion.  Now I know why.  I do not want a technician because it is plain to see from what we discovered -and the many posts and comments online- that this is unfixable beyond replacing entire pieces.  I want a refund or a new unit that does not come with preexisting design and safety flaws.  

This is the first new washing machine I have ever purchased and I have lived in many rentals with old decrepit machines previous to this.  They were all superior to this product which, instead of cleaning our clothes, it actually contaminates and stains them with mold.  One quick wipe of the gunk.

This is the plastic attached to underside of agitator. No way to clean beyond the holes.  Mold remains in layer between.

Image of mold beneath the plastic layer.  No way to detach and clean.

After removing agitator this is a view of what was beneath.  There is no way to clean the underside of the non-stainless piece.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Mold trapped in and under agitator flaking into laundry and making my kid sick!

We are sorry to hear about this. Please send the model and serial numbers to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Mold trapped in and under agitator flaking into laundry and making my kid sick!

I have this same issue which presented a little over a year ago. I have done the sterilizing wash and we always leave it open after wash to let it air out. as I have little kids, I assumed when I noticed it that food had snuck in but now I know the truth. How does this get fixed by Samsung? It is clearly a design flaw. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I'm sorry to hear that, have you had a chance to try the troubleshooting in the link below? 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01108629/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.