Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Samsung Dryer Won't Start

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a dryer model DV42H5200GW/A3

The dryer was squeaking was for a couple days. 

Now in the middle of a load it has stopped working. 

I tried a timed load and the countdown is working, but the drum not turning

I hear a click when I push the start button, but it wont start rotating

Anyone have any ideas ?

I would rather not rip it apart til I have replacement parts

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Re: Samsung Dryer Won't Start

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, if your dryer isn't spinning, it usually means that service is required. There's one quick test to perform to make sure that the cycle is being started correctly. And of course, make sure it's not something as simple as Child Lock.

Check for an error code.

• If something is preventing the dryer from starting, it may be displaying an error code to explain why. Troubleshoot the error code first and it may resolve the issue with the dryer starts.

Make sure Child Lock is off.

• Child Lock stops the Start button from working, so if you're trying to start a cycle and the drum won't spin, it could be Child Lock. You can check by looking to see if the icon is lit. Depending on your dryer model, the Child Lock icon may look different. It may look like a baby or a lock with a smiley face.
  • If it is lit, the instructions to turn it off can be found in your user manual or you can refer to your control panel (you'll need to press and hold two buttons for three or more seconds). If you experience difficulty turning off Child Lock, you can also unplug the dryer or turn off the circuit breaker for 60 seconds, and then plug the dryer back in or turn the circuit breaker back on.

Samsung dryer Child Lock icons

Start a cycle to check if the dryer thinks a cycle is running.

• The previous steps should resolve any issues with a cycle starting. But if your drum still doesn't spin, then all that's left is to perform a quick check to confirm that a cycle is actually running while the drum isn't spinning. With the panel free of error codes and Child Lock, select Time Dry, and then touch and hold Start.

If the timer counts down even though the drum isn't spinning, request service.

• In the vast majority of cases, the timer will count down. If the timer counts down but the drum doesn't spin, service is required.
  • If the timer doesn't count down after two minutes (or for models without a digital timer), confirm you have started the cycle. Verify that Time Dry is selected, the door is firmly closed and then touch Start. If you've verified that you've started the cycle but the drum still doesn't spin, then service is required

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help, here are some service options:

- If your unit was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange process.

- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service set up.

- If you're within the one year warranty, you can private message one of our moderators with your full model and serial number to have service set up. http://bit.ly/33ipYnO

-If the unit is out of warranty, you can use the following link below to request service or contact our phone support line at 1-800-Samsung to have service set up for you:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Astronaut

Re: Samsung Dryer Won't Start

JUMP TO SOLUTION

broken belt maybe

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have looked up online and sounds like an idler pulley problem

I have ordered a repacement pully, belt and roller wheels. 

About 20 bucks on amazon. 

found a video on utube about replacing it. 

I have done it before on another dryer. 

I will post on here after I replace stuff tomorow.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As expected 

Idler Pulley had melted and come off the shaft, and was laying on the floor of the cabinet. 

Replaced the Idler Pulley, Belt and the 4 wheels for good measure.

18.95 parts kit off Amazon prime.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

REPLACE THERMAL FUSE IN BLOWER! Watch YouTube video. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Samsung Dryer Won't Start

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Dryer won't start unless I reset after every cycle.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, if your dryer isn't spinning, it usually means that service is required. There's one quick test to perform to make sure that the cycle is being started correctly. And of course, make sure it's not something as simple as Child Lock.

Check for an error code.

• If something is preventing the dryer from starting, it may be displaying an error code to explain why. Troubleshoot the error code first and it may resolve the issue with the dryer starts.

Make sure Child Lock is off.

• Child Lock stops the Start button from working, so if you're trying to start a cycle and the drum won't spin, it could be Child Lock. You can check by looking to see if the icon is lit. Depending on your dryer model, the Child Lock icon may look different. It may look like a baby or a lock with a smiley face.
  • If it is lit, the instructions to turn it off can be found in your user manual or you can refer to your control panel (you'll need to press and hold two buttons for three or more seconds). If you experience difficulty turning off Child Lock, you can also unplug the dryer or turn off the circuit breaker for 60 seconds, and then plug the dryer back in or turn the circuit breaker back on.

Samsung dryer Child Lock icons

Start a cycle to check if the dryer thinks a cycle is running.

• The previous steps should resolve any issues with a cycle starting. But if your drum still doesn't spin, then all that's left is to perform a quick check to confirm that a cycle is actually running while the drum isn't spinning. With the panel free of error codes and Child Lock, select Time Dry, and then touch and hold Start.

If the timer counts down even though the drum isn't spinning, request service.

• In the vast majority of cases, the timer will count down. If the timer counts down but the drum doesn't spin, service is required.
  • If the timer doesn't count down after two minutes (or for models without a digital timer), confirm you have started the cycle. Verify that Time Dry is selected, the door is firmly closed and then touch Start. If you've verified that you've started the cycle but the drum still doesn't spin, then service is required

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help, here are some service options:

- If your unit was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange process.

- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service set up.

- If you're within the one year warranty, you can private message one of our moderators with your full model and serial number to have service set up. http://bit.ly/33ipYnO

-If the unit is out of warranty, you can use the following link below to request service or contact our phone support line at 1-800-Samsung to have service set up for you:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Of course they want you to have a tech come out $95 service call and $65 an hr for problems that has been an issue with these dryer and SAMSUNG wont do anything about it. Our just stopped working tonight dryer turns on light is on it counts down on times mode but still nothing. I'm very disappointed with SAMSUNG. Starting to regret just buying a $2,000 refrigerator as we have always bought SAMSUNG products 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

REPLACE THERMAL FUSE IN BLOWER. Order part in amazon. Watch YouTube video. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Dryer wont start

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having trouble with my gas dryer. The dryer powers on but when I start a cycle, the door lock clicks, the lights flash and the timer counts down for for a couple of minutes and then goes to 1 and then shuts off and plays the music like the load has finished drying. But it does not spin and I dont hear the motor humming. 

I have checked the belt and the idle pulley. Both seem fine. I replaced the thermal fuse and still have same problem. Has anyone else experienced the same issue. If so, what was the fix. I dont want to make a service call if I dont need to. Thanks.