cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung Washer - Brown Residue - DISGUSTING!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry to hear that could you send us a private message with your full model and serial number? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you able to receive an replacement  for this washer yet ?

Do they support you ?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This makes me feel better! I thought maybe we washed a pile of elephant dung! Yesterday my washer startes making a weird sound around the tub when trying to spin. Since it is 3 years and 2 months old I knew it wouldn't be covered by a warranty. So i got out the tool belt and went to town. Started with the drain house, disgusting! I spent 20 minutes flushing it out and trying to get the gunk out. Next I needed to find the source of the noise. After tearing into it both tubs and all the kit and kaboodle, there was brown gunk all over the bottom of the tub(not stainless steel tub) All parts were disgusting! When I got to the clutch, I removed it and Voila! there are plastic pieces that actually spin the tub. They were broken in half and melted, right next to the motor! Why would they use stainless steel and other metal but get to the most important part the impeller and clutch but use plastic? What a piece of dung! I have been a Samsung fan, owned TV's, current cell phones and appliances. But no more, I am going to buy AMERICAN!

20200223_104821 - Copy.jpg20200223_104856.jpg20200223_105215.jpg20200223_105322.jpg20200223_105432 - Copy.jpg

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@caingang7 I am sorry to hear about your situation! I would be happy to look into this further for you. Will you please send a private message with the model code and the serial number, and any pictures you may have? http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have also experienced this brown residue issue.  Yesterday, my husband and I (both engineers, FWIW) took apart our Samsung top loading clothes washer to clean it.  We had no idea what a large job we were in for.  Contrary to the many "solved" check marks on this and other Samsung community pages, the issue is not resolved.

I believe that the true root cause of this issue is flawed design decisions made by Samsung.  When you take off the agitator cap, it is filled with reddish-brown material.  We took off the pulsator (bottom of main washer tub), and found that the entire plastic bottom of the unit was covered in more debris.  The six-splined part below it was also covered in debris, which appeared to be oxidation of the zinc metal.  Both parts were thoroughy cleaned, but when everything went back together there was still residue in the rinse cycle.  

We decided to pull out the tub.  This required a 36mm deep socket and is a left-hand thread.  Once we got the tub out, we could see that it was covered by black mold and reddish brown debris.  It is a tub-in-tub design, so that metal tub rotates in a plastic tub that stays in the machine.  The plastic tub does not drain completely during the cycle, leaving standing water in the machine.  After we got the tub out, we pulled out the six-splined retainer, using a gear puller.  The bottom of this unit is filled with crevices in which debris and oxidation products can build up.  We managed to get it clean with the aid of a power steamer and a Dremel tool.  The two tubs were cleaned manually.  I did not get any "before" pictures of the inner, metal, tub because I was so focused on getting it clean.  It was covered in reddish-brown debris, with some black mold near the bottom.  It was so filthy that I though I might become ill.  It was cleaned outdoors.  I have pictures below of the plastic outer tub, which was cleaned in place in the machine housing.  Note that there are also depressions in the plastic tub that hold water, the purpose of which is unknown to us.  We also cleaned the inside and outside of the blue plastic ring at the top of the machine.  Even in the final re-assembly, there was a lot of reddish brown debris in the bearing surrounding the drive shaft.  This required cleaning with the power steam cleaner.   Much of the cleaning also required use of Q-tips or ear cleaners to get into the tight places.  We must have used 60 or more ear cleaners for this cleaning.   And, the entire bathtub area needed a thorough cleaning after the washer cleaning was completed.

I say all of this to let people know:  1) the tub does not fully drain and is not designed to allow complete draining; standing water is a reality -- Samsung should have installed some UV/LED lights to minimize the mold growth;  2) parts are in no way designed to minimize surfaces for debris build-up, nor are they designed for ease of cleaning; 3) zinc is known to oxidize in the presence of water, so the six-splined piece should be made of stainless steel and all holes in it should be filled with epoxy.

I have attached pictures, many of which were taken after cleaning but illustrate the points above.

I am not going to get rid of a machine that operates well other than this cleaning issue.  I will now need to break down the machine at least annually for a thorough cleaning.  I need to plan on 5 hours for 2 people to do this cleaning.  It is really a shame that Samsung did not do a better job designing this.   The motor is truly amazing, and the electronic controls are well-designed.  The mechanical aspects are a failure of design.  I wish I had known this before spending $700 on this machine.  I would have kept looking, since I bought a top-load to avoid the mold build-up issues that plague front loaders (and which have rightly been the topic of a class-action lawsuit).

I would not buy this machine again.

Bottom of six-spline piece showing many areas for debris build-up; after cleaningBottom of six-spline piece showing many areas for debris build-up; after cleaninginside of plastic tub showing debris build-up; before cleaninginside of plastic tub showing debris build-up; before cleaningbottom of pulsator plate showing many areas for debris build-up; after cleaningbottom of pulsator plate showing many areas for debris build-up; after cleaningdepression in bottom of plastic tub where water will stand; after cleaningdepression in bottom of plastic tub where water will stand; after cleaningdebris removed from drive shaft bearing area; after steaming but before clean-outdebris removed from drive shaft bearing area; after steaming but before clean-outinside of top blue ring, showing small areas needing to be cleaned; after cleaninginside of top blue ring, showing small areas needing to be cleaned; after cleaningafter cleaning; mostly reassembledafter cleaning; mostly reassembledtop side of six-spline piece after cleaning, showing zinc oxidation evidence; after cleaningtop side of six-spline piece after cleaning, showing zinc oxidation evidence; after cleaninginside of plastic tub after first-pass cleaning but before final cleaninginside of plastic tub after first-pass cleaning but before final cleaning

Highlighted
Constellation

Samsung washer disgusting after washing loads!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My washer always has mold/ brown/residue after washing my clothes!  I run the clean setting I get more!  I have to physically wipe out my washer after every use!  The solution that you have posted Samsung does NOT work!  It is ruining my clothes!

A363B0DD-2D9E-4663-B506-B7A716CFA38C.jpeg

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am also having this same issue. Our Samsung washer model WA40J3000AW/AA is less than three years old and we started seeing these brown flakes show up a few months ago. Since then the issue has only gotten worse. We run the self clean cycle every month and that has not prevented this nor made it go away. I've even used a pool net to get this gunk out of the water and ten minutes later there's more. If preventable maintenance like us running the self clean option like we've been told doesn't work then this is unnacceptable and needs to be fixed. I can share a video I took of the brown flakes floating in the machine if contacted. Also looks like this is coming from underneath the pulsator plate and drum.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sorry to hear that, so that we may look into any issues such as this please send a private message to me or to any of the other mods to look into this. Please provide the full model and serial number and pictures of the symptoms you are experiencing? 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The solution Samsung provide does not work, I've used the self clean function once a week since I got it. The metal parts under the agitator is rusted and had mold growing in it. I have to hand wash a lot of my shirts as it messes with my allergies when the brown stuff gets all over the close. Why hasn't Samsung recalled this? This is a serious health hazard and a defective design.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had my washer for almost 2 years. I run the clean cycle once a week. The brown residue is still in our washer. I have taken the agitation out soaked it in bleach for hours. You can see the mill due in between the stainless top piece and the white plastic piece of the agitator. I have run a clean cycle about 20 times with bleach in the cycle after soaking the agitator in my bathtub. Still mill due comes out of it. I always leave the lid of the washer open after every load. I also will never by a Samsung product again if this issue is not resolved. You have over 350 comments about this issue with no resolution yet that I have not already performed. Is there a lawsuit in place that I can join in on? I believe the mill due from the washer is why we stay sick all the time and our allergies always flaring up. Please Samsung do something to show a little customer appreciation please. My kids health is at risk as I don't know what else I can do to get the mill due out of the agitator and out from the bottom of the washer that is under the agitator that is impossible to reach to clean.