cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

Re: Dirt and Mold in Washer after thorough manual cleaning!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you take the 6 arm bracket off the bottom and clean it?  It's carbon steel which is pitted and holds moisture/scum.  The bottom side of it is baffled with tons of crevices for gunk to build-up.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is the best reply I've gotten so far. I did not but I did modify a brush to scrub the pitted areas you mentioned.  I noticed them and was aware they could be a problem area. I got them clean. I spent a few hours hand cleaning it. The steel 6 arm part looked like it was pressed on.  Is there a way to remove it?

I think the remaining flakes are coming from in between the metal and plastic on the pulsator/agitator plate itself.   There are something like 6 holes in each of the 6 section in the plastic under lining of the agitator. I removed any build up in those, lifted as much I could with a screwdriver to get as much as possible beyond the holes.  I can't separate the metal and plastic without destroying the part...  that's really what my question is about. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The 6 arm bracket is held on by the big nut on top of it but it is reverse threads so lefty tighty righty loosey.  I had to put channel locks on it and hit them with a hammer to break it free.

I didnt have any debris inside my pulsator plate (had a ton under it) but I'm pretty sure you'd destroy it if you tried to separate the metal from the plastic.  I hope you get everything resolved if you are as frustrated as I was.Washer Cleaning.JPG.jpg

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Why is this marked solved?  How do unmark this as solved?  The reply had nothing to do with my question...

Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sorry your dealing with such issues and id be glad to assist you in this matter.
In this case your best option would be to contact samsung directly as their are no service center that will physically service the washer onsite a service tech is sent out for further inspection down below i have attached a link

For shipping repair, you need to call Samsung, the hotline is indicated in this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also took mine apart to clean it out with no luck as the problem persists. I cleaned the drum, under the main metal spinner at the very bottom best I could. I tried my best to clean between the metal and plastic sides of the pulsator plate but it's clearly full of gunk. Was your problem resolved? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey.  I feel your pain so I'm replying to your question.  Yes it was resolved but not from this forum. The moderators on here are terrible. Give you generic answers. You can see the fella that gave the best response with the pictures. He is right. 

Did you remove the drum too?  That fixed it for me.  Mold everywhere.  The drum pops right out with removal of like 4 screws.  I just watched a you tube to find the location of the screws.  There was mold on the backside of the drum too at the bottom. I have a sink in my basement fortunately. If you don't bring it outside. Gonna get messy.  Scrub and clean the outside of the drum.  Once it's removed you will see how all the water does not drain out.  There is a ton of mold built up at bottom of washer behind bottom of drum.  With the drum out, I cut an old toilet bowl brush that was fairly small and used it to scrub under the metal thing that the pulsator plate screws to.  That guy is right. It is pitted. It's not flat.  You need a brush to get under it to clean out all the gunk.  There will be more than you think.  I did not remove it but would be easier to clean if you can get it out.  You could probably hit it with an impact gun and it would just pop right off.  Backwards threaded.

i bleach cleanered everything after scrubbing.  Took like 2 hrs to clean everything.  Now it is spotless and am mold free.  I did best I could with pulsator plate.  Likely still stuff in there but not enough to leave deposits. 

happy to answer any questions if you have them.  I was not happy with Samsung's reply's.  Glad they let people talk to each other on here though.  Funny is that I have the matching dryer and just ripped that apart last week to replace the tensioner pulley because it started squeaking. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

57EDD602-5109-4DA1-BF5A-1D0DA0131F21.jpeg

6C79499C-5CF0-4945-B95C-94FC3E5BB6C3.jpeg

Outside of drum after removal 

Highlighted
Constellation

Topload Washer Leaving Mold on Clothing

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We have had our washer since 2018 and, from the beginning, there are times when it seems moldy pieces come out of nowhere and stick to my clothing. This problem is becoming more frequent. The amount of water we are using to rewash clothing, self clean, then rinse 3-7 times is unreal. I have done everything Samsung says to do and I'm out of solutions. A washing machine should NOT be doing this. I expect more from Samsung. Our Samsung refrigerator came with it's own set of issues as well (faulty icemaker, which is apparently common), which we paid to have fixed. A small part is broken on the door now and we have been told the whole door will have to be replaced! I will not be purchasing Samsung appliances ever again. This should not be a continuous problem. I washed a load that smells musty and kind of bleachy (I did not use bleach). The drum still smells this way. I'm on my second self clean in 2 days and this is always followed by several more rinse cycles. 

The issues are that 1) I'm exposing my toddler to mold and he is at higher risk of getting sick due to other medical issues, 2) I don't trust my clothes are getting clean, 3) I'm spending too much time rewashing clothing, 4) My water bill is increasing and 5) I feel like it needs to be totally taken apart and cleaned and I should not have to pay for that to happen. If there is enough mold coming into the drum to create bad odors and to stick to my clothing, what does the rest of the machine look like?!

I am incredibly frustrated, disappointed and literally disgusted at the amount of complaints about this issue and nothing is being done. I need a workable solution to this problem. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Topload Washer Leaving Mold on Clothing

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for reaching out to us! Have you tried the following:

To keep your washer tub clean, use the SELF CLEAN cycle at least once a month or every 20 cycles. Perform the recommended procedures below when using the SELF CLEAN cycle.

On 2011–2013 models, the SELF CLEAN cycle is labeled “Pure Cycle.” Remove all items from the washer tub and ensure the tub is empty. Laundry left in the tub during the SELF CLEAN cycle may be damaged. Press Power to turn on the washer. Turn the Cycle Selector to SELF CLEAN (or select Pure Cycle). Press and hold Start/Pause (Hold to Start). After the SELF CLEAN cycle, leave the lid open to dry. The water temperature for SELF CLEAN is set to Hot and cannot be changed. When noticeable residue is present in the washer tub, add 1 cup (8 fl.oz or 240ml) of liquid chlorine bleach to the bleach compartment before you start the SELF CLEAN cycle. Do not use or mix any other detergent or chemicals during the SELF CLEAN cycle. If necessary, run a RINSE+SPIN cycle after the SELF CLEAN cycle has completed to help remove any residual residue. Please be aware that certain usage and environmental conditions may result in residue build-up or odor in the washer tub. Caution: Check the washer tub before using the SELF CLEAN cycle. Remove any water remaining in the tub by running the SPIN ONLY cycle before starting the SELF CLEAN cycle. If there is chlorine bleach left in the washer tub for an extended period of time, rust can occur.

If you have additional questions you can go here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01108629/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.