cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Samsung Washer - Brown Residue - DISGUSTING!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same exact thing happening with our machine. This is not our first problem with this washer. I've tried vinegar solution on the longest/hotest setting to no avail. Also tried to take it apart but I can't get the bottom plate to break loose and I know this is where all that gunk is hiding, hence the dirty blue cap and the dirty bolt and nut.  Not happy with Samsung appliances like I am Samsung electronics. But I will say I've reached out on this forum 2 years ago with a known problem and it was fixed. Can Samsung save my machine again? 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We took the whole machine apart and cleaned it. There is still brown residue on the bottom. We took the drum out and cleaned the inside and outside. It was disgusting. I contacted Samsung and they just wanted to send someone out. By the time I pay for the service fee I should just buy a new machine. I asked if it's the metal bracket, but they said there are no issues with their machines to date. It's been very frustrating. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have been seeing this issue for a while but thought it was residue from my clothes.  I spent the past 5 days researching and working to fix this and believe I have found a solution.  The main culprit is the 6 arm bracket attached below the stainless steel drum.  It is pitted steel and baffled on the bottom-side which holds water and soap scum very easily (definitely a design flaw).  I broke down the entire machine and everything that water touches needed a thorough cleaning.  Below I have posted the steps I took which solved 95% of the problem (for now).

**Do not attempt this if you do not believe you can do it safely.  This will most likely void your warranty.**

Time needed: 4-5hr manual work + 6hr machine run-time

Items needed: cleaning supplies, brush, philips head screwdriver, 10mm rachet, paint scraper, channel locks, hammer

Step 1: Unplug the power and disconnect the ground cable behind the machine and turn off all water supplies

Step 2: Remove dispenser tray from inside of machine, remove the top display panel and backing, unfasten the valve assembly, unfasten the water intake dispenser and remove (notice how it is positioned because it is a little finicky to get aligned flushly on reinstall)

Step 3: Remove the entire top and sit behind the washer being careful not to bind the power cables.  Remove the top plastic ring attached to the plastic outer drum by disconnecting the quick connects, removing 4 screws, and unclipping in 4 places.

Step 4: Remove the pulsator cap, remove pulsator plate bolt with 10mm socket (this was seized by soap scum; so I poured 3gal of boiling hot water in the drum and let it sit for 30min to loosen the bolt), remove pulsator plate with any hook-type device (there is a little suction but it just sits on top of a sprocket)

Step 5: Use a 10mm socket to unbolt the 6 bolts holding the stainless steel drum to the 6 arm bracket and remove the stainless steel drum.

Step 6: Unscrew the tub nut on top of the 6 arm bracket.  This nut is reverse threaded so righty loosy lefty tighty.  I used the channel locks and a hammer to break it free.  I believe the socket size would be 36mm but I'm not sure.

Step 7: Clean everything: water intake dispenser, inside of plastic drum, bottom of plastic drum, inside of drain hole, inside and outside of stainless steel drum, pulsator cap, pulsator plate, drive shaft, nuts, bolts, and 6 arm bracket.  I had to scrape the 6 arm bracket with the paint scraper to release the bulk of the scum on it.

Step 8: Reassemble, reconnect ground, reconnect power, and turn on water supply

Step 9: Run self-clean cycle with water

Step 10: Run self-clean cycle with liquid bleach

Step 11: Run self-clean cycle with vinegar

Step 12: Run self-clean cycle with baking soda

Step 13: Run self-clean cycle with detergent

Step 14: Run self-clean cycle with water

Washer Cleaning.JPG

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I did this too and cleaned every inch of my machine. The issue I'm having now is the poor design of the agitator. It appears that there's mold sandwiched between the plastic and metal layers. The two layers are also crimped together so you can't separate it without ruining your agitator. Have you found a solution to this or is there a replacement agitator that is made out of a single plastic or metal material so that mildew can't get stuck in between? 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So add me to the list here, I guess at least I'm not alone....   we have had issues for awhile, especially finding residue after not using it for a few days and then running the cleaning cycle.  So after reading these posts I pulled the pulsator out and wow, how disgusting!  Has anyone found the "Magic" cleaner to get rid of this?  I've tried afresh, vinegar, CLR....

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was part of the numerous mold/residue threads last year.  A Moderator was kind enough to reach out to me and send a tech to fix our machine about 6 months ago.  Took apart machine and replaced entire drum.

Guess what?  After about 4 months of no residue, it is back.  Same problem.  My wife has had many anxiety attacks over this for years now.  Ruined laundry.  Countless hours of "cleaning" machine.  Countless trips to laundromats to get laundry clean.  

She broke down this weekend and bought a Speed Queen.  It was time to cut our losses from our Samsung washing machine.  I asked if she wanted to keep in in the garage in case Samsung FINALLY recalls the machines and makes good and stands behind their name (note that I have 3 Samsing TVs, many Samsug phones and Samsung dryer and refrigerator).  She responded "no".  Said she wants no memories of the machine.  Wants it gone from our lives for good.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same issue. we have been on the phone many times, followed all recommendations as far as cleaning and maintenance.  Samsung refuses to acknowledge that this a defect in their product and keeps recommending that I use the self clean feature. Which only produces more residue left in the bottom. Very frustrating as this washer is already a replacement for another washer that was on a recall for the top flying off and injuring people!  I'm literally having Samsung service my refrigerator today, still under warranty thankfully, so two appliances made by Samsung both less than 2 years old and both defective.  I feel helpless as all I can do is leave honest reviews and hope people stay away from Samsung products. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've had my washing machine (model WA0K8600AV/A2) for 4 years and since last year I've had this disgusting brown residue in my freshly "washed" clothes. I've used the self-cleaning cycle to try and get rid of it and I must have used it at least a hundred times (which pretty much is not an exaggeration). I stopped the machine at least 5 times each self-cleaning cycle to remove the brown residue and have seen no sign of its quantity diminishing. I am dissappointed in the product since it is relatively new and should not be doing this. I've done thousands of loads in my life with other washing machines and have never had this problem. Not only have I tried the self-cleaning cycle, I've also tried using vinegar and baking soda. I'm going to attempt to use Coca-cola method and see if that fixes the problem. After reading this forum I find it horrific that nothing has been done by Samsung to solve this issue which clearly comes from its manufacture and not its maintenance. I've called them and gotten the same response as many on this forum, most on the line of "you must use the self-cleaning cycle every 20 loads" and "this is just a maintenance problem". It's a disgrace to know that many other people have been lied to about the quality of this product and have all had the same problem, which is universally being ignored by Samsung who is not taking up their responsibility.Vinegar and Baking Soda Test Close-UpVinegar and Baking Soda Test Close-UpCoca-Cola TestCoca-Cola TestBrown Residue before testingBrown Residue before testingVinegar and Baking Soda TestVinegar and Baking Soda TestBrown Residue taken out of the machine halfway through a washBrown Residue taken out of the machine halfway through a washBrown Residue Close UpBrown Residue Close Up

Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

EVERY time I wash anything, there is dirt or a brown residue onmy clothes and left in the washing machine. Please don't send me a link on how to clean it because I've done this TONS of times. Its ruining my clothes and no one will help me. I can't get any answers or any help. I've already had to replace a Samsung dryer and refrigerator that were barely a year and a half

old with no help at all and no replacements or money back. Very frustrating!! $3,000 and already replaced!! Please help!!!! I can even send a picture!!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I too am having the issue with the brown sludge and residue on all my clothes when we wash our clothes.

i have kids with asthma and allergies and I come to find out that this is a defect with the washer that Samsung is basically ignoring!! Ridiculous!!

i have followed all the steps for cleaning the washer and it still happens.

looks like the only thing that will get their attention is a class action law suit. 
Everyone, take and save pictures of the residue on your clothes. I cannot imagine that this is safe or healthy.