cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user2LjtPowIFV
Constellation

Brown flakes

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a WA45M7050AW/A4 I’m having issues with the brown flakes which seems to be pretty common unfortunately. This washer is only two years old. I’ve done all of the tips and tricks, countless self clean cycles and I’m at a breaking point. Who has successfully got rid of it without getting a new washer. Is that even possible? 

User15084321
Asteroid

Re: Brown flakes

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user2LjtPowIFV wrote:

........ Who has successfully got rid of it without getting a new washer. Is that even possible? 

In answer to your question, I seem to have been able to get rid of the brown flakes in my 3+ years old, since I have not seen any flakes for the last 1 month.                   

I had already posted the following about 3 weeks back. However, I thought that I will post it again since it is not easy to find the old posts.                          

Have been finally able to get our washing machine of all the mold and deposits so that the clothes are coming out clean again (without any brown particles on them). Am jotting down our experience with the removal of the mold from our Samsung top-loading high efficiency washer in the hope that others may find it helpful.      

We had tried using “washing cycle with vinegar” as well as the Samsung Self-clean cycles a few times without being able to get rid of the brown residue on the clothes. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Samsung did arrange for a service technician to check our washer. The technician did find that that there was mold underneath the washing machine wash-plate. However, somewhat surprisingly, the technician was ready to reassemble everything without doing any cleaning of the wash-plate, only repeating that we should just run the Samsung Self-Clean cycle (even after I told him that we had done that a few times without success. Fortunately, he did let my wife and me spend about 15 minutes cleaning the worst of the mold and the deposits off the wash-plate ourselves before putting it back in.        

Our first priority was to make sure that we get rid of the remaining mold. We used a cleaning cycle with Chlorine bleach, followed by a self-clean cycle. Then, we read that Chlorine is not good at penetrating porous surfaces, and may leave mold roots there. So, we used a cleaning cycle with Hydrogen Peroxide, followed by a self-clean cycle.

Our final step was to run a washing cycle with a commercial product Ecoegg Detox tablet, which is claimed to do a good job of eliminating any residues (we chose this product because it does not use any harsh chemicals and also does not leave behind any odor). Followed it again with a self-clean cycle.        

These may have been more steps than were really needed. But, at least, we are now getting clean clothes from our washer.

userQrfTUjxLmo
Constellation

Re: Samsung Washer - Brown Residue - DISGUSTING!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also found brown stuff in the bottom of our washing machine. After looking up what possible could be causing this and doing 10 cleaning cycles with no improvment, we decided to take the machine apart. I was so grossed out with all we found. First we took the pulsator off and cleaned it and all we could reach, then did another clean cycle. Still no improvments. The pulsator is a  metal piece crimped onto a plastic piece  so i carefully pryed the metal off the plastic piece. The sludgy brown stuff was between the two pieces. There would be no way to clean this unless taking it apart. I threw away the metal piece and put the plastic part back on the machine. Ran another clean cyle and still brown stuff!  Before going out and just buying a new machine we decided to take the drum out. My hubby took the machine apart and there were so many places of brown sudge:/  Finally every piece is cleaned and put back together. Running another clean cyle and hoping there is no more brown residue! 

By the way, before taking the machine apart, i tried cleaning cycles with wash machine cleaning tabs, vinegar and baking soda, and bleach and none worked. 

D75BEA89-54CF-4E9E-9CA1-3DB950890535.jpegPulsator in between metal and plastic part

95A99C7F-5BB7-46CE-8E08-56A0958E3CA3.jpegPlastic part of pulsator

B05E2EB0-B8C6-4F08-9377-4D914AE422D4.jpegTop ring on drum

503D4466-63F9-44FF-BD2D-90B4E2118B66.jpegInside of the bottom of the drum

42464C93-82D1-44B1-8ACD-A1290545CDF7.jpegOutside of the metal drum

E425E4A9-59E2-4B8F-BCD4-B22EDF86789D.jpegThe other plastic drum

B11765FE-F838-4882-863D-AD80A09306D4.jpegAfter cleaning

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey! Thanks for reaching out, can I have the following information in private message?

Full Name

Street Address

Email Address

Phone Number

Place of Purchase

Serial Number

Model Number 

userwpEnkUd53H
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is beyond frustrating... same issue in our 4 year old washer. Found all of the brown flakes all over the newborn clothing we tried to "clean" before our baby arrives in the next few weeks. Samsung needs to provide a solution for this since it is clearly an issue and hiding behind "expired warranties" is BS.

I have run 20+ self clean cycles with bleach, vinegar, etc to try and get rid of it, with no luck. We reached out to Samsung customer service and spent an hour on the phone with the rep trying to explain the issue and get a solution, but only got a forward to their tech team, who is supposed to call me back in 24-48 hours. We'll see if that happens.

On my own, I decided to try and clean/ scrub everything I could easily reach, starting with the detergrent tray (didn't solve it) and then moved to the pulsator. I pulled that off and found some residue buildup under it and scrubed that all away, but the part that I believe is the issue, is the pulsator itself!

There is  clear design flaw in the actual pulsator. It is made of 2 parts- 1 plastic and one metal, but they are fully  locked together around the rim. This allows for a gap where water and detergent can enter, but not easily drain or dry out. Additionally, without completely destroying it, there is no way to clean inside it. You can see in the pictures that underneath the white plastic there are dark brown patches, which I believe are releasing each time we wash. It also makes sense that a self clean wouldn't help because the space is so small that water aggitation isn't going to help loosen it and remove it like it would with other more open parts of the washer. 20191116_115922.jpg

20191116_121813.jpg

I don't know how it is acceptable for them to simply pretend there is no issue. When you have 30+ pages of people talking about the same issue, you think they would do something. Guess it will take a lawsuit to get any action from them- like the exploding lids that I also had to have fixed on THIS SAME WASHER.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userwpEnkUd53H We do understand how this can be frustrating if you would like could you send me a private message with your model and serial number?

userw1buVru3eK
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi--

Like many others, we have had the brown flakes showing up in our  wash. It is often accompanied by a brown streak of mud-like filth even though we have not washed anything remotely dirty like this. I have tried he proposed solution but it only works for a week at a time. Full self-clean cycle with bleach plus a spin/rinse cycle afterward. I even wipe down the entire inside with a damp cloth in between. We need help to solve this. We have had this washer for 5 years. Model #WA45H7000AW/A2

please help

3 weeks after initial posting and we continue to be plagued by this issue. I cannot understand how something so prevalent seems to have a selective response rate. 

SuziC
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It is so sad to see we are all having a similar problem. I have been trying to Figure out for a year now what has been going on with the washer. Doesn't happen with all of the clothes it only happens on some loads. However lately I've had a Brown residue and it is not getting clean like the washer is leaving dirt on the clothes. then the fabric softener sections of the drawer is holding water. we've had a technician come out spending the $100 plus and he had no solution for us. It is very upsetting when you are sort of brand loyal and you you like the products but they are just not of quality.

userX363UkleCO
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you ever find a solution that worked?? Ours is doing this and now it stinks horribly. I have to close my laundry room door or my whole house stinks!! We are clean people and this is disgusting. Did you end up purchasing a new washer?

userwpEnkUd53H
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So of course the site gives me an error and wont let me respond to my own post or edit it, so I guess I will have to repost this EVERY time:

This is beyond frustrating... same issue in our 4 year old washer. Found all of the brown flakes all over the newborn clothing we tried to "clean" before our baby arrives in the next few weeks. Samsung needs to provide a solution for this since it is clearly an issue and hiding behind "expired warranties" is BS.

I have run 20+ self clean cycles with bleach, vinegar, etc to try and get rid of it, with no luck. We reached out to Samsung customer service and spent an hour on the phone with the rep trying to explain the issue and get a solution, but only got a forward to their tech team, who is supposed to call me back in 24-48 hours. We'll see if that happens.

On my own, I decided to try and clean/ scrub everything I could easily reach, starting with the detergrent tray (didn't solve it) and then moved to the pulsator. I pulled that off and found some residue buildup under it and scrubed that all away, but the part that I believe is the issue, is the pulsator itself!

There is  clear design flaw in the actual pulsator. It is made of 2 parts- 1 plastic and one metal, but they are fully  locked together around the rim. This allows for a gap where water and detergent can enter, but not easily drain or dry out. Additionally, without completely destroying it, there is no way to clean inside it. You can see in the pictures that underneath the white plastic there are dark brown patches, which I believe are releasing each time we wash. It also makes sense that a self clean wouldn't help because the space is so small that water aggitation isn't going to help loosen it and remove it like it would with other more open parts of the washer. 

20191116_115922.jpg20191116_121813.jpg

I don't know how it is acceptable for them to simply pretend there is no issue. When you have 30+ pages of people talking about the same issue, you think they would do something. Guess it will take a lawsuit to get any action from them- like the exploding lids that I also had to have fixed on THIS SAME WASHER.

UPDATE 11/22/19 : So I have been trying to give Samsung a chance to fix this issue through their customer service line...Im now several hour long calls in and have now had 3 Samsung service techs come out to look at the machine yesterday. I wasn't watching them the whole 2 hours they were there, but I'm 99% sure they never even took the machine apart. Everytime I went downstairs to answer a question for them, the washer was fully intact. I'm not an engineer, but it seems it would be pretty hard to inspect a machine when its fully assembled. Amazingly, they said they found "no defect" and there was nothing they could do. 

So after that I called customer service again and was told that because the techs said there was "no defect" there was nothing they could do. They supposedly sent it to their internal special claims and escalation teams and the claims were denied. Talked to the supervisor, same thing- nothing he could do because of the "no defect" designation. I'm now waiting for a re-review of of my claim by the escalation team. I will be calling today to get a final answer from them- if there's no resolution I'm going to get the BBB involved.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone else be interested in a class action? Starting to research that as an option too.