Original topic:

WA45N3050AW/A4 Very loud grinding noise at start up and during wash

(Topic created: 02-11-2020 03:25 PM)
A_d00d_In_Texas
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

Hi,

I bought a washing maching machine 09/2018, Model # WA45N3050AW/A4, last week I noticed a loud grinding noise when the washer would first start up and spin. (during the load sensing I guess?).

Today it made the loud noise during start up and during the wash, it got really loud so I stopped the wash, I do not want to use it because I do not want anything else to get worse. I believe my washer is still under warranty being less than 2 years old, but it seems to not spin without the grinding noise.

What do I have to do to get this washer repaired? Laundry stacks up quick in this household, I have three kids! ha.

Thanks

0 Likes
6 Replies
SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Washers and Dryers

Hey there! I totally understand how frustrating it can be having a super loud washer! Normally, a grinding noise indicates that there's too much in the washer for it to handle. I suggest trying a smaller load and seeing if that gets rid of the grinding noise. Also, check to make sure that the washer is leveled properly by making sure the tub is centered when the lid is opened. If none of these work, the washer will need to be looked at by a technician and you can locate one here:http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location 🙂

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
dmartin2017
Astronaut
Options
Washers and Dryers

Did you get your grinding problem resolved? I am having the same problem.

Solution
A_d00d_In_Texas
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

Howdy,

Yes, problem has been resolved. I did not want to wait 3 days for a tech to roll out to my location to investigate the problem, then wait another 5 days or so to receive a part, then wait for another scheduled time for a tech to roll back out to install the part, that is like squattin' with your spurs on. (I am in a small town located almost an hour drive from the nearest big city).  I have three kids, laundry piles up quick around here and I am so busy that going to a laundry-mat was almost out of the question, so I ordered PART# DC97-16984A, I spent a bit over $120 with 2 day home delivery searching online for a NEW part with the fairest price, (ouch) and I installed the part myself, it was fairly easy to install; I opened the top lid and popped the small plastic center cap out of the drum, used a large adjustable wrench to turn the nut (clockwise), then tipped the washer on it's side and unbolted the 4 small bolts holding the metal bracket on (cant miss that thing), then I removed the small bolts/screws that held the clutch/trans on, I pulled the small pin out of the clutch activator cable that held it in place onto the assembly, removed the cable, slid the entire broken clutch assembly out from the drum (it was leaking black lubricant, so gloves were a plus), then I put the new part back in reverse of the way I pulled it out making sure it was aligned with the drum & seal, getting the drum to stay center so you can slide the assembly back in is tedious if you are working by yourself, best to have a helper hold the washer drum in place. I am aware my "warranty" is probably void now that I fixed this thing myself, but I didn't even have this washer a year, if this happens once a year, I might as well buy a better washer. By the way, after I replaced the part, it works like new... lesson learned though, put in light loads, the clutch assembly on this model washer is weak. I miss my old (late 80's lol) Kenmore center agitator washer, it washed large loads and did it quickly. Anyway, hope this helps, if you want to keep your warranty, you will have to wait it out for the certified samsung techs to resolve your problem.

View solution in context

userklKdWY52Pf
Astronaut
Options
Washers and Dryers

Thank you for all the info.

Our washer just died washing a light blanket and two towels the other night. It sounds like a pocket full of change when spinning the drum by hand. I'm guessing the clutch went out, but u haven't pulled it apart to see just yet.

Thank you for your info on what part and how you fixed your washer. Ours was getting loud the past few washes.

0 Likes
dmartin2017
Astronaut
Options
Washers and Dryers
It only has a 1 year warranty
0 Likes
dmartin2017
Astronaut
Options
Washers and Dryers
They had to replace the board bc ours was stuck in between rinse and spin cycle