JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

WF45K6500 locks and drains but doesn't start

(Topic created: 06-05-2021 11:44 AM)
Anonymatt
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

My nearly four year old washer, a WF45K6500 has an intermittent issue with starting the cycle.

It powers on, the door locks and it does a couple spins. The water then starts. Then for no reason the cycle stops. I'll come back later and it looks as if we forgot to start the cycle because the time didn't change. At first we thought we were somehow crazy and forgetting to start it, but we have confirmed that it is NOT human error. The machine des not display error codes. In fact, it never has displayed error codes, even back when we had another issue where it would not spin dry properly (and we had to replace the wire harness one month out of warranty).

Has anyone else had a problem with pressing the cycle start and after the machine *pretends* to start the cycle just abruptly stops?

0 Likes
3 Replies
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Washers and Dryers

I do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. On the display is the child lock icon flashing? ( Lock with a smiley face) if the icon is on that could be one reason why the unit will not start. Also, On the front of the washer at the bottom left-hand corner, you have a pump filter that we recommend you clean out every 6 months. If the filter is dirty that can cause the unit to have a start-up issue as well. You can locate instructions on how to clean the filter on page 51 of your user manual. Can you please try that to see if that resolves the issue you're experiencing? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymatt
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

Nope, none of that stuff worked. Instead, no thanks to Samsung, I went and found a YouTube video that showed me how to get into diagnostic mode. I found the service manual online, but I had to pay so gave up that avenue. As a product owner I should be able to get the service manual.

In any event, I found three error codes when I went into diagnostic mode. The first two, DC and DDC were errors we had seen recently- opening the add wash door without pausing the cycle, and once pressing start without fully closing the door. The last code was interesting. It has NEVER displayed on the screen, and it was DC1. We've noticed sometimes it goes through a few attempts before ultimately securing the door. I suspect that the lock mechanism is failing, because when we stand there and make sure it secures properly, we don't see the cycle being interrupted.

I will be replacing the locking mechanism.

I would add that, as a result of how hard it was to figure out the error code, that is not having access to the service manual and the code only showing up in diagnostic mode, I won't be buying another Samsung appliance. This is actually the second problem with this washer, and the matching dryer doesn't dry bedding, it turns it into a damp ball of sadness- every time.

View solution in context

0 Likes
Kdog13
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

I would love to see a correct diagnosis for the issue you're describing as we are seeing the exact same behavior with our six year old Samsung washer model WF56H9110CW/A2 front loader VRT. I've been troubleshooting it seriously for a couple of weeks now, but the issue has been going on for several months and getting progressively worse.

When issue was first occurring we could just pause and restart the cycle and it would eventually finish, but now it often won't even start tumbling even though it often fills with water.

Other symptoms:

• unit will sometimes display the initial rotating drum graphic when it weighs the load, but the drum does not actually turn
  • water will be added to the load in short spurts from the sprayer at the top of the door while the drum remains stationary (almost as if the system believes the drum is turning)
  • cycle will pause and the door will unlock spontaneously; sometimes it will lock again on its own after a few moments
  • if it reaches the spin cycle it usually will complete the wash cycle and shut down, though even then it will sometimes keep resetting the spin time (that is, it will go down to 6 minutes or so remaining then go back up to 13 over and over)

I've checked/performed the following:

• removed the door lock mechanism, cleaned and reseated connections (though the lock always seems to work reliably)
  • verified water inlet hoses and screens are clear
  • verified coin/button filter is clear
  • verified drum rotates freely
  • replaced the Hall sensor
  • checked all connections to the main control and inverter boards for corrosion and reseated
  • ran in test mode and verified water inlets and discharge pump appear to be working as expected
  • in the "tst" mode the unit usually displays a 3E2 error; also is occasionally displays 3E during a cycle after pausing
  • in test mode the drum appears to tumble clockwise and counter-clockwise normally and also passes the spin tests without issue

My next steps will include removing the front panel to check connections to the control panel, though every button, light, and the dial selector appear to function normally. After visually inspecting the wiring harness at the rear, I also want to check out the cabling at the front.

I will also follow the troubleshooting guide that came with the washer to check the voltage and resistance at various points on the control and inverter boards.

I will add any updates here, but again would love to see if anyone has any insight to these behaviors. Failing any specific diagnosis, I will likely be replacing the inverter board next as that seems to resolve sporadic issues including the 3E2 error for many people.

Thanks for reading!

0 Likes