cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userAAhViM4KFO
Asteroid

Washer WA48H7400AW/A2 making grinding noise when agitating, gets louder on spin cycle

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm very disappointed to be posting this.  My Samsung washer and dryer set that I happily purchased just 4 1/2 years ago have performed well but their durability has been poor.  I've already had to replace the heating element in the dryer,  and today the washer started making an awful grinding noise during agitation.  The grinding turns into a loud whine during the spin cycle.  These units are in a clean environment, well maintained, and used properly.  There is no excuse for issues such as these so early in their life cycle.  

My washer is out of warranty and based on my search here and other appliance repair sites it appears that this will be a costly repair.  I fully expected these to last 10+ years, but now find myself having to consider repair/replace options once again.  This is not the value that I expected.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userAAhViM4KFO
Asteroid

Re: Washer WA48H7400AW/A2 making grinding noise when agitating, gets louder on spin cycle

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I called this closed way too soon.  The service technician has been back twice since this post.  He left yesterday and it still has not left me with a working washer.  

I wanted to come back to close the loop . . . 

I don't like that I've had a significant issue with my washer already, but I'm very pleased with the support I received from Samsung and the representatives on this site.  In the end they took care of me and now my washer is working fine again.  Thank you for your assistance!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Washer WA48H7400AW/A2 making grinding noise when agitating, gets louder on spin cycle

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I completely understand how frustrating this may be for you. Here's a link that may help with your issue. 

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001985/

userAAhViM4KFO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for your reply Justin.  I've previously found the page you referenced and was not able to resolve the issue.  And today, when starting a load, it continues to turn back and forth as it normally does before filling with water but no longer proceeds to the fill cycle.  It will need service but I'm reluctanct to sink more money into this washer.  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We're sorry to hear of this. Please reach out to us via private message with your serial number LINK

userAAhViM4KFO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I called this closed way too soon.  The service technician has been back twice since this post.  He left yesterday and it still has not left me with a working washer.  

I wanted to come back to close the loop . . . 

I don't like that I've had a significant issue with my washer already, but I'm very pleased with the support I received from Samsung and the representatives on this site.  In the end they took care of me and now my washer is working fine again.  Thank you for your assistance!

View solution in original post

userAAhViM4KFO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, I jumped the gun on what I thought was a final solution.  The technician came out and replaced the clutch, and the washer appeared to be working.  It was louder than before when he tested the spin, but when I asked he noted that it was only because the washer was empty and spinning faster than it would with a load.  Well, that's not the case.  

Sometimes it will get through an entire wash cycle, sometimes it won't.  There's still a rumbling sound when the washer seems to be trying to rotate the drum.  It frequently fails when it tries to spin.  I tried to put a light load on rinse & spin and after many cycles of trying to start, stopping, and trying again, it finally errored out and stopped.  

Please assist with another service visit!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry to hear this. We would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please send us a private message to the link below. 

http://bit.ly/2hQXHNu

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userAAhViM4KFO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I sent this, below, as a reply to the last private message that I received but have yet to get a reply.  Please respond.

Hi again.  I'm sorry to have to report that the service technician left several hours ago and my washer is not functioning any better than before.  This time he replaced the clutch, again, and also replaced the drum and I believe other components.  Once it was all reassembled he did a quick check to make sure the empty washer added water, drained, went into the spin cycle, then he stopped it.  He's been very courteous and efficient, but after 3 visits I still don't have a washer that works properly.  My patience is beginning to wear.

From what I've seen the washer is behaving much the same as it was before today's repair.  It makes a rumbling noise when it's supposed to be turning. The water starts, makes more rumbling, the water stops, and the cycle repeats.  This goes on for a while then it just stops.  

Please escalate this matter, and schedule me for another technician visit please.  And for an extended time.  I do not want the service person to leave until it is clear that it is going to work properly.

Thank you.

John Midgette

userAAhViM4KFO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

By my count today is the fifth time that a Samsung repair technician has been to my house in the past three weeks. for my 4.5 year-old washer.

1. Technician performed recall repair - Warranty extended 1 year

2. Technician replaced clutch - Washer will complete a wash cycle but with significant "grinding" or "washboarding" sound, same as before

3. Technician comes back - must order parts

4. Technician comes back and installs multiple parts (clutch, others) - Washer will not complete a wash cycle.  Grinding sound is worse.

5. Technician comes back, makes adjustments and I think he installed a new main board - Grinding sound is gone!  Now it will not complete spin cycle.  Water drains, the drum spins, then when it should pick up speed to get water from clothes it slows to a stop.  This spin slowly and stop routine is repeated multiple times, then errors out and stops.  If I turn the unit off then back on and put it on "Spin" setting it will do the same thing for several cycles, then the time jumps to "18" and it begins to fill with water - on the spin only setting.

I have been patient and courteous, I believe, throughout this process.  The technician that has come out has been very polite but has left every time with my washer not running through a wash cycle as it should.  I have every reason to expect that my experience with this unit and with Samsung should be much different.  

Please contact me asap to let me know what you can do to retain me as a Samsung customer and provide a working washer for my family.