cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Washer WA48J7700AW Lid Broke

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Unfortunately, their listed "solution" isn't a solution at all. Half of the people respojnding to the OP are writing about the plastic ActiveWash sink hinge breaking, but this apparently is not what the recall they keep mentioning is about. But based on the insane number of responses about the sink hinge, there should be a recall on it.

Just FYI, you can remove and replace the broken ActiveWash sink relatively easily. I found a replacement at https://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-washer-dc64-03241a-door-lid-upper-wash-basin.htm for $69. I found a lot more on other sites, but that was the cheapest.

Use a screwdriver to push in the grey clips at the hinges, which will let you slide them both inward toward the center of the lid; they can then be removed. Keep the basin in the up position and slide the right hinge out. The left hinge is a little tougher and you might need a screwdriver to pop it out.

Keep the grey clips, you will need them if you plan to replace the sink. Also on the left hinge is a small round grey spacer that you'll need to keep as well.

Hold the new sink in the up position when you put it back on, put the small grey washer onto the little rectangular shaft you took it off of (on the washer lid, not on the sink), then snap the new sink into the two hinge spots. The right side goes on very easy, the left side took a little wiggling/pushing, but I was able to get it to snap into place.

This was MY solution, but you can just as easily remove the sink forever by removing the two grey clips,  the round grey spacer and the basin. The CORRECT solution would be for Samsung to recognize that hundreds of these washers have had that hinge break at the clip, just admit is was a minor design flaw, and offer a free repair/replace solution to the sink.

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem, I found hundreds of posts about the problem, but couldn't find anyone that was able to properly fix it.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

I appear to be having the same issue with lid, with model WA48J7700AW/A2 and S/N <hidden> (which per https://pages.samsung.com/us/tlw/ is not subject to recall).  Can Samsung provide any assistance?

thanks

Martin

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Could I get your phone number and email in a private message?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

A lot of trial and error and actually memorizing the sequence as I torn it apart and then this just in putting the thing back togetherh

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same problem happen to my washing machine on the left hinge.  The plastic is bulging and the screw does keep the top together on the left hinge.  It is model WA48J7770AP/AP2 with a Seriel number starting with 0DZ05.  Any help is appreciated.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user_srowe Please send us a private message with the full model code and serial number so that we can look into this for you: Link

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This just happened to me too! For a long while now, I felt like something was amiss with the door as I had to sometimes hold the lid down in order for it to lock correctly. Today I went to close the lid and the left hinge has popped up, won't close, and the plastic around the lid frame is broken off as well. I'm afraid that a repair will cost half as much as I paid for the entire washer and that is unacceptable for something that is not a mechanical issue! I was pretty loyal to Samsung products though I had friends warn me against their appliances. I have held steadfast in the face of their criticisms and refuted their concerns with testimony of my own. That may have to change unless I can get this problem solved in an economical manner. Aside from multiple TVs and phones, I also have the Family Hub fridge, a convection oven/microwave combo, waterfall dishwasher and this washer and dryer. I did have my microwave repaired last year but it was still under warranty so I didn't give it another thought. Now I have this broken washer lid and while it is still like new to me and gently used, it is out of warranty. It is not like I even do that much laundry as my husband spends a lot of time deployed and we have no children. I was about to buy a FlexZone range oven and my neighbor was interested in purchasing the same fridge that I have, but I am not sure I can recommend Samsung any longer. 

Was anyone able to successfully replace the lid on their own or affordably somehow? Because if it is going to cost me a lot of money to replace just a lid, then I am going to spend a little more and replace the entire appliance and it is not going to be with another Samsung. 

Samsung, if you are out there and value loyalty, can you please help me? 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can I have your full model code and serial number via private message?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So after messaging with the Samsung moderator department, they took care of my problem and scheduled a tech to come out and fix the problem! They were very quick to respond and very quick to schedule my repair. As a matter of fact my lid was replaced today. The tech said that the hinge was fine, it is was the plastic on the lid that broke around it through no fault of the user. Seems that a stronger quality of material should be used, or a longer metal hinge to prevent it from cracking the plastic, but either way I am super happy with the customer service I received. As long as they continue to provide such service, I will continue to be a loyal Samsung customer!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the exact same problem with the left hinge and now the washer won't start unless I hold it down and who knows if the kid will fly off. I've tried to get assistance on here before and the customer service rep did nothing to help. When we first bought the washer a few months later they simply gave us a sticker the first time the washer was recalled, but we have the exact issue as everyone else with our model that supposedly has nothing wrong with it other than needing to change the bedding settings which we follow. We would really appreciate a repair as we are very disappointed with the machine.