JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Washer is rusting and stinks of mold

(Topic created on: 11/24/20 4:00 AM)
user3vBipowdJt
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

My washer model WA48H7400AW is rusting and has a foul mold smell. It stinks! I have attempted to run the self clean cycle again, but I know it will not help. Here are some photos.31A69F3E-890F-405C-841E-2A43368FB43D.jpegA0F47317-B13D-4B0B-A196-1070671AA5D0.jpeg1B4727FC-0763-4B71-B545-33FF384C9AF0.jpeg

0 Likes
4 Replies
SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
Washers and Dryers
had a similar issue but with a different manufacturer. Come to find out the pump that drains the water wasn't strong enough to pump "all" of the water out during rinse cycle. I had to move my wastegate hose running out to a lower location than the washer. I also found that the waste gate hose itself needed cleaned out, it was filled with junk and so was the screen that was right before it. I just bought a new hose and screen at Lowes was only a few$$ Hope that Helps. As far as rusting goes. While you're at Lowes go into the spray paint section and grab some Rustoleum Clear finish for metal. and a can of the white and touch it up with the white then come back over with the Rustoleum metal seal clear and that should stop the rust from spreading any further. Hope that Helps. I know it doesnt solve the "somewhat faulty" features but mine was out of warranty so it was cheaper than buying new.
Solution
SamsungLarry
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Washers and Dryers

Thank you for reaching out to us! I know you have tried the Self Clean but humor me:

To keep your washer tub clean, use the SELF CLEAN cycle at least once a month or every 20 cycles.
Perform the recommended procedures below when using the SELF CLEAN cycle. On 2011–2013 models, the SELF CLEAN cycle is labeled “Pure Cycle.”
Remove all items from the washer tub and ensure the tub is empty. Laundry left in the tub during the SELF CLEAN cycle may be damaged.
Press Power to turn on the washer.
Turn the Cycle Selector to SELF CLEAN (or select Pure Cycle).
Press and hold Start/Pause (Hold to Start).
After the SELF CLEAN cycle, leave the lid open to dry.
The water temperature for SELF CLEAN is set to Hot and cannot be changed.
When noticeable residue is present in the washer tub, add 1 cup (8 fl.oz or 240ml) of liquid chlorine bleach to the bleach compartment before you start the SELF CLEAN cycle.
Do not use or mix any other detergent or chemicals during the SELF CLEAN cycle. If necessary, run a RINSE+SPIN cycle after the SELF CLEAN cycle has completed to help remove any residual residue.
Please be aware that certain usage and environmental conditions may result in residue build-up or odor in the washer tub.
Caution:
Check the washer tub before using the SELF CLEAN cycle. Remove any water remaining in the tub by running the SPIN ONLY cycle before starting the SELF CLEAN cycle.
If there is chlorine bleach left in the washer tub for an extended period of time, rust can occur.
If you have additional questions you can go here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01108629/
 Or reach out to me or another Moderator in a direct message! https://bit.ly/2tWAAvS

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
gcornilescu
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

Rust comes from the dispenser! Self clean doesn't help rust under the top lid. We don't use bleach. 

0 Likes
user3vBipowdJt
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

I am not sure who decided that this issue has been solved???? I guess Samsung checked it!

There is rust in other parts of the washer. If you search through topics this seems to be a recurring issue with Samsung top load washers.  Samsung has a responsibility to address this KNOWN issue. I believe bleach is a common solvent that is used in washing machines and washers should be manufactured to withstand the use of bleach. I have purchased many Samsung appliances and have learned that they simply do not hold up.  The affordable price point comes at a cost. I will no longer purchase Samsung appliances and will no longer reccomend to others.