Original topic:

Washing Machine Rusting

(Topic created: 07-27-2020 12:57 PM)
useroGKGqEdBMS
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

We bought ours in 2017 I think and I just was doing laundry and noticed a chunk of rust as well as rust drip-stains in the fabric softener dispenser.  I have tried to make sure I leave the lid open after running loads of laundry in order to help it dry out and prevent mold/gunk from developing.  A few weeks ago I noticed flakes of brown gunk appearing on my washed clothes and in the washer tub.  I found videos of people dealing with a similar problem and how they disassembled the entire thing to clean it!!  It really bums me out because now I have to inspect my clothes (especially the whites) for any debris so it won't stain!!! And now I have to worry about rust from the inside?? I'm afraid to use it at this point Smiley Sad15958797927175574423346471380061.jpg

JUMP TO SOLUTION
110 Replies
useryavOPnzVdN
Astronaut
Options
Washers and Dryers

We bought a brand new top loading washer in February 2016. We have never used bleach or any strong chemical. We use environment-friendly detergent. The rust began to be noticeable last summer 2020 and it has gotten worse. It leaves rust debris in the detergrent tray after every cycle. Surrounding the tray, it is also rusting. It is starting to stain our clothes.That's where the rust first began.That's where the rust first began.The rust has spread underhand.The rust has spread underhand.rusting surrounding the detergent trayrusting surrounding the detergent trayRust debris after every cycleRust debris after every cycle

0 Likes
JasW
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

After giving all of my information, I was told my machine (model no. WA52J8700AP) with all of the rust around the dispenser was part of a  recall. I called the recall phone number given and was told I had two options: (1) have a repair service come out to replace and or bracket the washing machine lid, with a new extended warranty then being placed on the machine, or (2) get a $54 rebate toward the purchase of a new machine, with an extra $100 if it is a Samsung machine. 

Obviously, the lid of the machine is not my problem here, and $54 (or even $154) toward replacing a machine I bought 4 years ago for $850 is essentially an insult. However, it appears that once the lid is replaced, and the new extended warranty kicks in, one can then make a claim for the rust under the warranty. I know that doesn't jibe with what one person posted here about rust not even being covered under the original 1-year warranty, but that's what the rep told me. 

SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Washers and Dryers

Has that repair already been scheduled for you?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
JasW
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

Yes, it has. I was told the parts would be delivered to my house first. 

0 Likes
user19h1Nb3ORa
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

Hello,. We purchased a top loader washing machine in late 2015 and we had a lot of clothes ruined for unknown reason.  Lately, we noticed there is large pieces rusting and almost falling into the basin.  I see there is a 10 year warranty on the label on the front of the machine.  This machine definitely should not be rusting out.  Please advise on how this can be rectified.

Thank you20201223_182911.jpg

20201223_182908.jpg

0 Likes
user2c5TAqYJBh
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

Hello, my washing machine is rusting as many others have reported. What is being done about this? Can you help?Bleach dispenserBleach dispenser591392A3-F879-4E66-9176-CCC26605F968.jpegFabric softenerFabric softenerDetergentDetergentDetergent drawerDetergent drawer

0 Likes
usersIsj9UYh86
Constellation
Options
Washers and Dryers

I am having the same issue around the top of the washer.  I called yesterday and they referred me to the recall phone number.  Said that they would send someone out to put brackets in.  Don't think they really listened to me about the rust.  going to try again today and get a different person.20201210_124428.jpg20201210_124433.jpg

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Washers and Dryers

Once the recall repair is completed, it will put your washer back within warranty.  After the repair is completed, reach back out to us and we can have the rust taken care of at no cost.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userzjyNqzFrYt
Astronaut
Options
Washers and Dryers

There's a liberal amount of rust on my machine too. Who do I contact to rectify this in Chennai?

0 Likes
MsBri1
Neutron Star
Options
Washers and Dryers

An Accepted Solution has been marked and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. If you have a separate concern, feel free to post again or send one of our moderators a private message with more details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find needed content. Remember that if you do make a post, that you include as much details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring. Thank you for being part of the community!

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes