cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Where to send suggestions

Dear Samsung,

My name is Shannon Rayburn, I'm from Surprise, AZ and I have been a loyal consumer of your awesome brand for a long time. My first smartphone was the Samsung galaxy S (currently an s9), I have a Samsung robot vacuum, 2 sets of Samsung washers and dryers, in addition to numerous other Samsung audio devices and TVs. I really love this brand! You consistently make reliable, cutting edge, good quality products at reasonable prices.

The reason for my correspondence today is the washing machine. I have had my set for several years now, and the model number is WF42H5200AW/A2. It works perfectly fine as far as getting the clothes clean. However, every time I start the first load of the day, there is an overwhelming foul smell that comes from the machine. It is strong enough that it makes the area of the house where my laundry room is smell extremely stinky, like raw sewage or putrid water, and it lingers for about 30 minutes. The rest of the laundry I do that day is fine. This is especially true if I go more than 24 hours between loads of laundry. I have scoured my machine, used sanitizing cycles, tried using scent free detergents, washing machine cleaners, and always leave the door open when not in use. I have also ensured that the washtub is fully empty of water after each use by running a spin only cycle after each load. There is no trace of mold or mildew anywhere in or on the unit. I have been going through everything I could think of to figure out where the smell was coming from.

Then about 2½ years ago, we got another Samsung washer and dryer set for our 2nd home, it is model number WF42H5000AW/A2. Within a matter of days of using it, brand new, the same smell problem started occurring. It was at this point that I realized there was a filter located at the bottom left corner & it needed to be cleaned out once every other month. When I opened it, there was a flood of that putrid, foul smelling water that came out! Probably close to a quart. The same was true in my first set when I opened it.
Once I had done that on both my sets, I thought that would be the end of the smell. I would make certain that I was cleaning it out every month.

However, the fact is that I actually have to empty this filter after I'm done doing laundry for the day, every single time. If I don't, by the very next day if I run another load, the overwhelming smell of sewage comes from the machine. So for the last couple years, I've been emptying my washer every day I use it, and while it is a pain in the rear to have to do- it's better than having to endure the smell.

Finally, just last month my daughter got a new Samsung washer and dryer, hers is model number WF45R6100AV/US. She started having the same problem happening! And sure enough, the same remedy works for hers to keep it from stinking.

So I am writing to you, because I'm sure you have heard this from many other people as well, in the hopes that you will go to your appliance engineering department and tell them that this is a problem causing their awesome product to be less than awesome. It has been happening for several years, and it is still a problem. The machine has to be able to fully empty after each load, or it will stagnate in a short time. Being in Arizona with the hot weather, the water is already warm to start with. This is an optimal environment for the bacteria that causes the horrible odor to multiply rapidly, and the next time the machine is used, that stagnant water gets stirred up and smells foul until the machine runs the first rinse and flushes it out.

Thank you for your time and consideration of my feedback. Please let me know any further information or what they might be doing to correct this issue. You can email me at this address. 
Have a great day and keep making awesome Samsung products!

Very best regards,
Shannon 
I❤Samsung

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Where to send suggestions

Hi Shannon!  I appreciate you reaching out.  There are a few things to look it when it comes to smelly water in the machine.  The most common cause is water not draining out of the machine completely. 

Samsung Washing Machine Error Code ND - What To Check - How To Fix | Washing  machine drain hose, Samsung washer ....  

That picture shows where the drain hose should be on the stand pipe.

Also make sure that the units are leveled.

As long as those are taken care of and checked every so often, you shouldn't have troubles with odors.  .  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Constellation

Yes, I have ensured that all 3 sets are installed properly, the hoses are in the correct position and the machines are level. However the water is routed through the filter, it's not emptying. At the end of the cycle, there are a couple pints of water left in the bottom of the unit. When I remove the filter, the smelly water runs out.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Hi

Highlighted
Constellation

Hello