Always On is not Always On

Highlighted
Asteroid

Always On is not Always On

When I set my Gear Sport to Always On mode, it regularly dims to a level invisible in bright light, and switches off. Worse, it completely ignores this setting when running Sport Activities, so when running or cycling it gives me about 5 seconds to read the display before turning off, and requiring me to make a huge flourish of the wrist to persuade it to turn on again.

This seems like a bug. Always On should mean Always On. I want to be able to glance down and see the time, or check my pace without interrupting my stride.

6 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: Always On is not Always On

Can I get the full model number of the device? 

Asteroid

SM-R600.

Samsung Moderator

Good Morning. I can definitely understand this being an issue. I too workout myself and I like to periodically look down to see where I am at. I have located a link that might help you out. if this does not help, please just let us know. 

Asteroid

Thanks for your answer but I don't see how this can help. The problem is not that the display is damaged - it's fine. The problem is that the software isn't behaving the way I expect.

Samsung Moderator

What software version do you have on your gear? Also, make sure the power saving mode is not on. That can affect the dim of the screen as well. 

Asteroid

I have the latest software according to the app - Tizen 3.0.0.2, software version R600XXU1ARC4, Knox version 2.2.0.

I'm pretty sure the most likely explanation for the watch display turning off during a workout is that the app is ignoring the watch settings, and it probably does this for everyone and always has. Can you confirm that this is not expected behaviour? Perhaps would be good for you to check that first rather than doing all the box-checking and troubleshooting.

The dimming - I have Power Saving set to Default and auto-dim mode switched off, but the watch still dims. What's more, it dims as soon as I lower my wrist rather than waiting until the watch time-out, which I have set to 5 minutes.

I'm a software engineer myself and we would class all this as an "X-Bug". The software is behaving as designed, but not as the user expects.

Thanks.