Galaxy Watch - Step Counter accuracy?

Astronaut

Re: Galaxy Watch - Step Counter accuracy?

I bought Galaxy watches for myself and my wife. Both of us were previously using Fitbits. I quickly have realised how astonishing poor these watches are as fitness trackers. How can an upmarket company such as Samsung churn out such utter cr*p at three times the price of a Fitbit. Its like something I'd find on a cheap Chinese tat site.

Not at all happy so far. This is not a software issue as this would have been fixed by now. 

Ours are being returned.

All is forgiven Fitbit. 

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

return it while you can. I have spent hours talking to samsung costumer service. They asked me to ship it for service twice and nothing changed. I then told them I wanted to return it and they said it was over the 15 day warranty limit for returns. They had it for 10 days while "fixing" it. I only had it for 7 days in total

Cosmic Ray

The fact is, the Samsung step counter is low-accuracy. It's inconsistent, period. The issue really comes down to a BIG CORPORATION incorporating a less than adequate design into a product that isn't inexpensive that falls way short of reasonable performance. Samsung certainly should be held to a high standard. They make good products. Make a better step counting watch. 

My 42mm is running way ahead of the phone's counter today. Yesterday it was 10% behind. I've grown used to the idea that $330 won't buy much. But I'll live with it because the watch serves numerous purposes, some of which it performs quite well. As a dedicated fitness tracker, it's not the go to product. Alarms, reminders, day planning, phone on wrist: that's where the Galaxy shines.

All I know is the watch tells me when I get somewhere near 6000 steps, which helps a little in smoothing out my periods of inactivity. In the end, I hope Samsung steps up and pushes a fix for their software defects. But, for now the Galaxy Watch is good enough for me.

Astronaut

Watch Model Number: SM-R810

Software: Tizen version 4.0.0.1

Software version: R810XXU1BRJ4

Knox 2.3.0

Phone: Google Pixel XL

Bluetooth

I would really like to see an improvement on the step counting. I generally average around 15k to 16k steps per day and am not even getting to 10k with watch. Through my worksite wellness program, I earn money based on the number of steps per day. So, I am literally losing money with an inaccurate step count. An example of the inaccuracy, I ran 3 miles and only had 1436 steps.

Cosmic Ray

I don't think the Tizen 4.0.0.0.1 update was a solid fix. Supposedly (according to Samsung customer service) an update was released for distribution the last week in October. Supposedly everyone will have it (in U.S.) by end of November. I'll wait to see, since no moderators have said anything. Does anyone know or have heard a similar story?

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

Samsung wanted me to return my watch for a reflashing. I asked them why would I s=do that when I could go back and demand a THIRD watch from the retailer? Then I was told after further prodding the service rep, that there was an update out at the end of October. I haven't seen it. Hope the rep was correct. These issues need solving or we all need refunds.

I like the watch. I want to keep it. I have a few days where I could return it. All this irritation over a stupid watch. 

Cosmic Ray

I'd atleast recommend you exchange the watch. Demand a new one. Some work better than others, why, I don't know.

I am wondering why none of the moderators on here don't say anything about the new update. 

Constellation

Wow, i was getting ready to buy the Galaxy watch until i read this. I really wanted it for a fitness watch.  Now i. Definitely not buying it. Thanks everyone 

Astronaut

Model number SM-R810

Tizen version 4.0.0.1

Connected to Samsung note 8

Bluetooth

I am so disappointed since I have been waiting to update my gear S2, which I love, only to find out that the step count is at least 500 steps off! Usually 1,000 steps off. I wish I had researched the watch more to see all the reviews because I gave my gear s2 to my son. I can't believe you put this out for this price and won't make the software fix to correct this major epic fail.