Gear IconX 2018 Beeping in one ear

Supernova

Re: Gear IconX 2018 Beeping in one ear

Hey guys, can I get the following information?

1. Does the issue follow the main earbud?
  2. What type of phone are you using to connect with the earbuds?
  3. Does the same issue occur when the earbuds are not connected to a phone? 
Asteroid

@SamsungMichelle wrote:

Hey guys, can I get the following information?

1. Does the issue follow the main earbud?
  2. What type of phone are you using to connect with the earbuds?
  3. Does the same issue occur when the earbuds are not connected to a phone? 

1. No. The right earbud works fine. The left earbud keeps disconnecting.

2. S8+

3. Yes

Constellation

[ Edited ]

Hi Michelle.  Your last post in this thread was on June 29th at the top of page 8.  You asked the same questions and I replied 3 posts later (you did not reply again).  To answer your questions again:

1. It is only in the left earbud and the right is my main.

2. I am only playing from the on board storage.  I have paired with the Pixel XL for set up, etc.

3. Yes, I am only playing from on board storage.

Firmware ver: r140xxuarc7

Constellation

Mine happens in the main earbud (right) and it doesnt overplay the music, it just beeps.

Samsung Moderator

Have you switched the dominant ear to your left ear? If so, does the left one beep as well or is it only the right one? 

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

@userJqSYT8fYCm wrote:

Hi Michelle.  Your last post in this thread was on June 29th at the top of page 8.  You asked the same questions and I replied 3 posts later (you did not reply again).  To answer your questions again:

1. It is only in the left earbud and the right is my main.

2. I am only playing from the on board storage.  I have paired with the Pixel XL for set up, etc.

3. Yes, I am only playing from on board storage.

Firmware ver: r140xxuarc7

Michelle is apparently not in a rush to get back to you Smiley Sad

But I might have found a temporary fix. I put a piece of paper over the sensor (just the sensor, not the contacts), and the earbuds are acting like their in my ear. Specifically, I used the sticky part of a post-it note to cover the sensor and then put a small sliver of tape over to keep it in place.

This isn't an elegant solution, but at least the $150 buds are more functional. Of course, now the earbuds don't stop when you take them out of your ear, but they do shut off when you put them back in the case. But I'd rather live with this trade-off than continue to deal with the constant beeping and disconnects.

Constellation

[ Edited ]

Rondo,  Moving the "dominant" (setting as exercise recording bud) ear to the left had no effect.  I'm essentially 100% certain this is a problem with the proximity sensor on the left bud.

Poster above me, I'll try a little gaffer tape on my run Saturday and let you know how it goes.

Samsung Moderator

@userJqSYT8fYCm; Keep us posted!

Constellation

Gaffer tape fixed it 100%.  Thanks to @userUbRLb4PCOm for suggesting.  Photo here: imgur.com/a/MM2TX1V  Of course, I'd have to do that every time and adhesive buildup would be a problem (not to mention the hassle).

It would really make my day to have someone with Samsung in their name at least now acknowledge that they understand some of us here feel pretty confident there is an issue with the proximity sensor.

Can any of you Samsung people actually get information to people that are responsible for product development, firmware updates, etc?  Or are you more like generic internet forum mods and you're just doing the best you can to link people to FAQs already available?  Hearing from several of you with no real acknowledgement of answers to your questions or demonstration that you understand or can actually do anything to help us has been crazy-making.

I'd like a product dev to try something like giving us a way to disable proximity alerts (or delay intervals) once the buds are synced and playing (until they're put back in their charger).  I'd also really appreciate an ETA for that next firmware update.

Samsung Moderator

Great! I'm glad that resolved the issue. As for future updates, I apologize but we are not able to speculate about release dates.