Gear S3 Frontier – Calorie Calculation is wrong

Astronaut

Re: Gear S3 Frontier – Calorie Calculation is wrong

See this report from Stanford Medicine News Center: Fitness trackers accurately measure heart rate but not calories burned

Astronaut

It's funny you should say that I thought mine was a little high because I cycled for 65 minutes and it said 1012 callaries burned  I thought that was a little high but I guess it is about right, 

Astronaut

Hi there I seem to be having the same problem as others here but it is the opposite.

Had my Gear S3 frontier about a week and 3 days ago mid day its calibration of steps to Kcal went up imensely the readings have gone haywire.

Yesterdsay I as active until 2am walking around my house packing bags the 5.30am I woke up and walked around my house and ordered a cab to the airport.  Reasonable amount of walking in airport then an 8 hour flight didn't move much on the plane and then rented a car and drove for 1 hour and sat down on arrival - 53214 kcal was my total I burned yesterday all from apparently just 6502???? But even the steps seem a bit high to be honest.

Previous day was 27851 and the day before 7626 my usual day as just under 3000 

Can you.please help I have only just bought It this isn't very impressive. My S8 does a better job and it isn't designed for just That???

Samsung Moderator

Hey, @userfAGI2SFOgV. I can understand how frustrating that would be, also how strange it would be to see that your phone is doing a better job of counting your calories. I want to gather some information about your Gear. If you could provide the following it would be great:

Model Number

Software version

Carrier (if you have one)

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator

Hey, @userfAGI2SFOgV. I hope you are doing well. I wanted to thank you for posting to the thread. Please post again if you ever need any assistance, and alternatively, you can call our support phone line at 1-800-726-7864, or you can use our video chat service located in our Samsung+ app. Either way, we’re happy to help if you ever need any further help with your device in the future!

Constellation

I'm having the exact same issue where I'm 250-300 calories off compared to my Fitbit Charge 2. They need to find a software fix for this issue and soon! For now I've gone back to my Fitbit Charge 2 for tracking my circuit training, elliptical and power walking calories burned. My Gear S3 has been relegated to step counting, heart rate, text messages, Facebook notifications and answering the phone without having to pull out my cell phone. I feel Samsung hasn't delivered on all it's promised. I pretty much like everything about the watch except how it tracks calories burned. Also the distance reading is off a little compared to when I wore my Samsung Galaxy S7 on my arm, about 30 to 40 feet longer to count a mile. 

Astronaut

Hi everybody, i have S2 that i updated to latest app and experience now same problem as all of you. Underestimation of calories count during a workout.

But i also do not understand why on the total count now there is an additional 400 to 500 cal even when just turn on the device. 

Someone could please explain??

Thank you

Patrick

Sitekick wrote:

Hi everybody, I recently switched from my Gear Fit 2 to the new Gear S3 Frontier. But I think the smartwatch does not calculate Calories correctly.

1 hour of spinning at high intensity should burn about 1.000 Calories (male, 43 years, 192 cm, 105 kg).

Thats also what my old Gear Fit 2 calculated every time I did my usual workout routine.

Using the Gear S3 Frontier however I get results of just 537 Calories for the same Workout with the same heartrate and the same intensity. This can not be right.

Attached is a screenshot of my workout today – as proof that something does not work correctly with Calorie Calculation on the Gear S3.

Can anybody help?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards, Michael

Asteroid

Gear sport, same issue. Calories burned significantly less than what it should be. Have posted before but no response so far...will be reaching out to popular tech review sites to see if they can get an answer from Samsung and hopefully bring some attention to this issue! I suggest everyone else with this issue do the same...