Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

Asteroid

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

@Tommy_Atkins and all

After the firmware upgrade yesterday I did a Reset on my Samsung Gear S3. Today I started my day with 100% battery at 7 am and after 8:30 hrs is 80% battery ( so in 8 hrs lost 20%).

I remember that it took a full day ( 24 hrs) to lose 25% in battery ( Original firmware)

1. I have NFC = OFF

2. WiFi = OFF

3. Heart Sensor = every 10 min

4. Location = ON

5. SVoice = ON

I will wait for 2 more days just to settle down the system, sometimes it took the device to learn the pattern of usage.

Constellation

Update:

I turned NFC back on this morning and after 2.5 hours battery is at 99%. No other change to settings. 

AOD - Off

HR - Off

Location - Off

WiFi - Off

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but much happier with battery consumption today.

Cosmic Ray

Had the most recent update (battery improvement) installed 2 days ago.  So far, I do not see any significant improvement.  Did a reboot and shut down watch and a reboot phone but that did not change anything.  Will continue to monitor the drain as it seems it did improve for a few users.

Asteroid

Should we consider what watchface we are using?

1: I hve not tested the original watchface, I have started using one that the developer of the watchface assure that will be 2 full days of normal usage. why? well I can see all the sensors active on my watchface.

2. Could be a good idea to compare the original watchface and not the ones that might use more battery?

just for reference I am using this watchface but yeah has more details and more actiity going on:

https://plus.google.com/+MatteoDiniMDWatchFaces/posts/S8gYAFXMd6E

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

I have designed my own watch face which I have been using for about a year.  Other that standard watch info it has battery level, steps and stairs because that info is useful to me.  Under Tizen 2.3.2.4 normal battery drain was about 20-25% a day depending upon updates/messages/phone calls (just a few a day).  Under Tizen 3.0 battry drain went to about 38-45% a day with everything staying just the same.  Updated a couple of days ago with the "battery enhancement" software and really cannot tell that I fare much better. It looks like I am in the 35% battery drain a day. I will give it a few days to see if there is an improvement as reported by other users.  Not sure if the battery is aging and not holding power as it used to or it is simply the new OS which does that.  Again, for as much as I use the watch I should be in the 20-25% battery a day. And that does not even count that Tizen 3.0 is, allegedly, improving battery life by 30%. Yeah! and the tax reform is going to save me money!

Constellation

Was so annoyed that I brought my Gear S3 Frontier back to Samsung for repair.. It was lasting 2 days before the update, 6 hours after the update. 

Samsung replaced the battery and downgraded back to tizen2. 

I'm back to 2 - 3 days usage. I also noticed that the Tizen3 update is no longer available for download. They are maybe working on a fix to these problems and have pulled the update. 

Constellation

I sent mine in for hrm problem, twice. Problem not fixed so decided I'd just live with it, then I updated from tizen 2.3.2.1 to tizen 3. After a few days I called and give the csr an earful.

They had e ship it back for the 3rd time. The gave me a new watch, but what's telling is the tizen version on the replacement unit is 2.3.2.1.

Samsung doesn't have confidence in tizen 3, why should we have confidence in samsung.
Constellation

Battery update firmware is useless... After update i accidentally update all apps (including weather app, the culprit in my case). The battery was draining again. After that i reset the grar, clear phone cache, uninstalled and reinstalled gear apps in phone. Then i install all previous apps,watchfaces, and updates, except the weather app updates. The battery return to normal state....

Constellation

[ Edited ]

The battery fix is indeed useless. Reboots and reinstalls don't help. Today took the watch from the charger at 100% at 11.30 am - everything has been turned off (WiFi, NFC, always on display, S Health, Location) except bluetooth and the push notifications over bluetooth, brightness at 3/10. At 3.30 pm battery was at 88%. Before Tizen 3.0 update, I had the similar battery usage (15%) after almost 10 hours on a working day, and I also had S Health on all the time.

I should have stayed on Tizen 2, at least until all major issues were fixed. It used to last an entire working week (I always turn it off for a night) - 5 days on one charge and I would still have something left for a weekend to casually wear it somewhere for a couple hours. Now, everytime I check the watch I do that to see the battery charge left rather than enjoy experience the device provides. Sad.

Constellation

[ Edited ]

I've been searching for a fix ever since the last update. This seems to have worked for me. 

I think the culprit is S Health. I went to :

• setting
  • apps
  • S health
  • Notifications
    • blocked
  • Permissions
    • turned all off

I also turned off all SH features on the S3. I did this while at work while the S3s battery was at 78%. After about 3 hours the battery went down just 2% which is close enough to my pre-update of aprox. 14% in 8 hours. Prior to this I tried resetting the phone, deleting and reinstalling Gear, not updating the Weather app. That didn't change anything. 

I'll check it today after its fully charged and see how it does.