Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

Astronaut

Re: Gear S3 Frontier Tizen 3.0 Battery Drain

I have the same issue after the update. Auto HR off. 

I found that the watch keep on showing Inactive Alert, even I have turned it off.

Constellation

Hi there,

I am having the same issue since upgrading my gear s3 frontier to Tizen 3.0.0.1. For my standard use, i used to reach allmost 4 days. Now i have to recharge every 2 days.Is there any way to downgrade to the previous version, beside flashing it using Odin? I presume that through Odin flashing, it will void the warranty, and i wouldn't want that.

Thank you!

Constellation

N3astY wrote:

Hi there,

I am having the same issue since upgrading my gear s3 frontier to Tizen 3.0.0.1. For my standard use, i used to reach allmost 4 days. Now i have to recharge every 2 days.Is there any way to downgrade to the previous version, beside flashing it using Odin? I presume that through Odin flashing, it will void the warranty, and i wouldn't want that.

Thank you!

I don't think it will void the warranty as long as you flash it using an official firmware. I have tried that and my warranty status remains unchanged.

Constellation

Same issues with no fix after a reboot and a reset.  Does anyone know if there is a way to roll tizen back to the previous version?!

Cosmic Ray

Given that Tizen 3 brought a multitude of issues related to the rapid battery discharge, it now becomes clear that heat and rapid battery discharge/recharge is going to shorten the life of Gear S3, considerably, if not damage it entirely.  Is Samsung goind to replace the watches after the warranty expiration due to clear neglet in testing this faulty firmware before propagating it to our watches?  There should be a consensus here because I do not think that Samsung is doing anything about this issues (as far as I can tell).  Does anyone else have further information to elaborate on this matter?.  This is one expensive watch and I am not happy about letting this expense going down the drain just because Samsung does not take responsibility.

Asteroid

I completely agree with you about the heat and rapid battery discharge. I now believe my battery was damaged during the update, which took over an hour and drained the battery from over 30% to almost 0%.

Cosmic Ray

It  all depends upon how many people are going to come forward and show that this issue is widespread and not a random occurence to a few.  Some days ago a Samsung mouthpiece was trying to insinuate that this is a rare and isolated occurence attributable to user's inability to use proper settings.  I can only speak for myself, as power of one, and say that the issue is real and of material consequence, entirely attributable to Samsung.

Asteroid

Last Friday, I convinced a friend to let me borrow their brand new S3 before it was even set up. Knowing that if anything went wrong, they could return it, I immediately updated it to 3.0 and restored a backup I made of my S3 minutes earlier. So this watch was basically a clone of mine. The newly set up watch is getting around 30 hours of battery life with my configuration, which is admittedly a pig (AOD active, colorful watch face, tons of notifications, etc.). My own watch was getting 24-26 hours before the 3.0 update, but only 14-16 hours after. Seems pretty clear that something with the update process trashed the battery.

Constellation

I updated my watch to tizen 3.0 couple days ago and it seems battery is draining fast compare to 2.4.  I also noticed that when the I place the watch on the charger after full battery drain and watch off.  The watch screen immediatly start charging from around 50% battery.  Did anyone saw this issue?  Wonder if tizen 3.0 is not calculating the battery usage correctly.

Asteroid

Sorry to sound like a "me too"....

As a user of the S3 for the last 6 months, and a low end user (e.g. I have left most of the standard apps on there..as the watch does what I want in its original form). I don't use it for music, I read the occasional email and I check the time...thats about it.

I am a creature of habit, basically same routine, same time for recharging, no change in habits with usage of the watch.

Every Saturday or Sunday I turn the watch off completely to make sure no apps are still running (read crashed)

I have applied each patch as it has come out, and updated the standard apps.

Basically without fail, every morning (before the major upgrade) I put it on charge, it will show %67 - 71% battery as it commences its charge.

However since the Tizen 3.0 udpate, there is a considerable change in the charging/battery behaviour, as every morning when I put it on charge, the battery level reads 49%-52% and naturally the time I normally allow it to charge is no longer long enough.

With an IT background of 35+ years including software design, I know what to look for, I have a reasonable understanding of how things work (as it sounds like many others on this forum do)........

From the release notes, I think the main change that may impact battery life might be the frequency of the HR checks, so I might reduce this, but I don't expect it will much of a change.

I hope Samsung work out what this upgrade has done to the Gear s3.....its not perception, its a definite issue, and one that they need to solve.

Regards

Bob