Gear S3 button stopped working

SOLVED
Asteroid

Re: Gear S3 button stopped working

So the same thing started happening to me a couple days ago. The power / home button would stop working. I thought a restart would help. However, the button wouldn't work so I couldn't restart it. I did not know about the hold the button for 10 second thing. So, I let it power off by running the battery dead. However, it would not turn on normally after that. The power / home button would not respond. I tried the 10-second thing and the 15 second thing and they did not work. The only thing that seemed to work was I held both the home and back buttons at the same time for a few seconds and then it turned on. I really don't know what I did to get it to turn on but now the home button works. We will see for how long. It does not seem to be a hardware issue. Has Samsung officially acknowledged that this is a common issue?

Constellation

@djparker17 wrote:

So the same thing started happening to me a couple days ago. The power / home button would stop working. I thought a restart would help. However, the button wouldn't work so I couldn't restart it. I did not know about the hold the button for 10 second thing. So, I let it power off by running the battery dead. However, it would not turn on normally after that. The power / home button would not respond. I tried the 10-second thing and the 15 second thing and they did not work. The only thing that seemed to work was I held both the home and back buttons at the same time for a few seconds and then it turned on. I really don't know what I did to get it to turn on but now the home button works. We will see for how long. It does not seem to be a hardware issue. Has Samsung officially acknowledged that this is a common issue?

Thank you!! Mine died and holding the power button for 10 seconds did nothing. Pressing both got it powered on. The Home button still isn't working but at least the watch is powered up!!

This seems to be a common problem and I will be contacting samsung to get it fixed. 

Astronaut

Thanks, because I had the same issue and I follow your instructions and it worked for me.

Astronaut

Same thing for me.

Took the watch to the samsung repair centre neat Toronto and they wanted $35 to look at it and then $100 to "try" to make a repair. No help at all.

This is a defect in the design of the watch that Samsung refuses to acnowledge.

Can you update us on the response by Samsung.

I am now buying an Apple watch and phone.

Astronaut

I can get all the home button functions to work as long as I hold down the back key. This includes SOS and default screen for home button. This suggests that this is software issue. As mine is a parallel import and not covered by Samsung, I am wondering if in  the last software updates they have disabled this function for series of serial numbers as they will have location and whether or not those particular serial numbers were provided to that country.

Mabye just another conspiracy theory, but its clear the key is working in conjunction with the back button so it cant be hardware

Paul

Constellation

[ Edited ]

My power/menu button worked fine until a couple of days ago.  I didn't have any issue before the firmware update.  I too can get it to work by pushing the back button and the menu button simultaneously. This will typically result in temporary functionality of the menu button, but it inevitably stops working again.

When I first noticed it I repeatedly pressed it & accidentally sent out an SOS. Very frustrating. 

Supernova

@The Wookiee: Have you tried restarting the device?

Constellation

How do u force reebot?

Samsung Moderator

This link should be able to walk you through it.

Supernova

Hey guys, just checking in to see if the link provided above was helpful.