Gear S3 button stopped working

SOLVED
Astronaut

Re: Gear S3 Home button stopped working

I am so dissapointed in my watch with the same problem with the home button not working. I took it to Samsung at Robina Qld Au and the told me because I bought it from an Australian Web site that buys from overseas they sed that they wont even look at it to repair it. I have tried to do all the things that are mentioned above, reseting etc but nothing works. So I am stuck with it. So dissapointed and thinking of going to fair trading to act for me

Astronaut

Re: Gear S3 Home button stopped working

Please... Why this topic is tagged as "solved"??? Is not solved at all! The power button still does not work on these devices worldwide. And so far no single word from Samsung about this software issue!
I think this is a disrespect to the consumers who bought this expensive device, trusting in that company. 

Constellation

Re: Gear S3 button stopped working

I was facing the same issue. And this trick worked for me.

I pressed back and power button but together for 3-4 seconds. And it's working as if nothing has ever happened.

Thank you for the idea.

Asteroid

I still do the Back + Home trick but the Home button stopped working on its own.  I can only get Home to work in combination with the Back button.  Does Samsung monitor these forums?  If so, what is the solution?  Or even just explain what is the cause? 

Thank you 

Samsung Moderator

Have you updated the software recently?

Asteroid

Yes, I check periodically for software updates.  I get the message that I have the latest software.  So, all I have read is that folks end up sending their watches in to Samsung and the main board is replaced, or at least that is what they are told.  So what is the common issue of all these people with the same, exact problem?  How does this failure occur that apparently causes a hardware issue that allows the Home button to work while the Back button is pressed.  What physically allows that to happen?  How is this not a software issue?  Some have said they have opened their watches and "cleaned crud" from behind the button and it starts working again.  Is this possible? I am an electrical engineer and very little of what I have read as solutions or what Samsung is doing to address this issue makes any sense.

Constellation

Another user here with the same problem.  My S3 is about 1 1/2 years old and the Home button does not work.  However, pressing Home+Back at the same time DOES work and will bring up the list of applications.

This obviously has to be a software issue of some sort.  What's going on Samsung?

Constellation

My Gear S3 is about 1 year old and having same issue. Home + Back is WORKAROUND not a solution!

Is this truly a hardware or software issue???

From an electrical standpoint, because it does work with Home + Back, it is much less likley (but not impossible) to be a hardware issue. It is all VERY confusing because half of what I have read state sending it back to Samsung for a new board solved it. The other half I have read resolved it by doing something else, like button combinations, or cleaning contacts inside the watch. I see some folks who have only had the watch 1 month reporting this issue... which also weighs heavily towards a software issue, not hardware.

WHICH IS IT SAMSUNG?? CAN SOMEONE FROM SAMSUNG RESPOND WITH A PRACTICAL ANSWER??

P.S. In addition, my battery is now draining extremely fast. From 100% to 20% in about 12 hours. This just started happening all of sudden, not a gradual decline. Went from 3 days on a charge to only 14-15 hours now. I just wonder if somehow if these issues are related? Like the button issue caused the battery failure to accelerate, or vice versa. Anyone else also having battery issues?

Samsung Moderator

If all troubleshooting has failed, I recommend getting a service technician to look into this.

Asteroid

Larry,

There are users that still continue to have this issue.  This issue is not solved.  The solved tag should be removed from this thread. 

If Samsung is addressing it when users send in their Gear S3's, what is the diagnosis that is being given?  Why will Samsung not take an official position on this issue?  Recommending that a user have a service technician take a look at a device with an issue is not helpful.  Anyone on this thread knows that they could get service work done on their Gear S3.  They come to a forum and post to a thread like this for legitimit answers and honest feedback from Samsung representatives.  You are listed as a moderator, so, I presume that you are a Samsung employee with access to information that we do not have.  Why would you not attempt to assist the large number of users that are still dealing with this problem?  With as many users that have stated they have the same problem, it is not possible that Samsung does not know how to fix it.  If the only solution is to send it in for repair and get a board replaced, please state that plainly.  If there is a software bug that is the cause, please indicate that there is actually a software problem.  Software bugs should be addressed by Samsung.  Has Samsung stopped supporting the Gear S3?  If not, then please supply an actual diagnosis for this common issue.  If the Gear S3 just need to have build-up cleaned from behind the buttons as some have suggested, please tell us that this is a valid fix.  

Until then, this issue is not solved.

Thank you