Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

Asteroid

Re: Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

[ Edited ]

Mine was counting floors flawlessly this past week. Hope it stays that way. I really do like this watch but it seems quite unreliable. Features such as auto detect and floor counting seems to work off and on. Now, it’s my auto detect that has stopped working and some battery issues. If this watch worked 100% all the time, I would love this watch. But I’m much happier with this watch than my Fitbit. 

Update: I must’ve jinx myself. Today my gear sport didn’t count any of my floors. It’s still at 0 😫

Constellation

yes. On my second watch in less then a year and neither one calculated floors. I connect to a Samsung Galaxy 7

Asteroid

This is so frustrating. Today my gear sport didn’t count any of the stairs I climbed. Why would it work great one day and then not work at all? Samsung, this really needs to be fixed. I just can’t understand the inconsistency on the floor counts. I know it works because the other day it counted all the floors I climbed. 

Supernova

@JayF: Can I get the following information?

Model Number

Software Version

Asteroid

I think the biggest issue with the S3's ability to count floors is that users are expecting it work a certain way. 

I came from owning a FitBit for several years. Immediately I found that the Samsung didn't count floors the same way. In some ways, I think the Samsung does it better. 

I believe the Samsung as well as the FitBits uses differences in barometric pressure to determine elevation. Barometric pressure fluctuates  Outside and inside buildings. If you're in a two story building, where the vertical rise is close to 10 feet and there are barometric fluctuations  it's won't count that floor. If you're inside a residential home, one flight of stairs to the second floor is usually less than 10 vertical feet. So it won't count that as a floor.

Also, FitBits will take an accumulation of feet climbed and add them as a floor. Where as Samsung wants you to complete a full floor without interruption before it counts. Also seems with Samsung, the speed at which you climb that 10 vertical feet is taken into account. 

So when it comes down to it. Samsung devices seem to want you to be exercising for floors to count. Where FitBits let you lazily accumulate floors at any pace over time. 

Asteroid

Model number SM R600

software version R600XXU1ARE2

Asteroid

Yes, I understand. I came from owning a Fitbit also. But I climb the same stairs everyday and sometimes the gear sport counts it but most of the time I’ll end up with 0 stair counts for the day. To me that isn’t right.  Also, since you came from being a Fitbit user can you help me understand why there are thousands step difference between my Fitbit and gear sport? I tested them to see whose one is more accurate. I wore both devices and when I check my steps, there about a 5,000 step difference. So I don’t know which device is more accurate in step counting. Thanks.

Asteroid

One of the reasons I gave up on FitBit was inaccuracies in the step count. I'm finding the Samsung to be more accurate. My FitBit Blaze would fluctuate wildly by hundreds of steps while walking the same route. 

Asteroid

Ok...I was feeling that my gear sport was more accurate also with step count and calorie burning. The way Fitbit calculates my calorie burned I should be super skinny by now lol. But yeah, I really like my gear sport except for the stair counting. Thanks for your input. 

Asteroid

Sorry @SamsungJace, but that link has absolutely no bearing on why this $250-300 watch can't properly count floors.

@SamsungJace wrote:

Check this out; http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=1000706&modelname=SM...