Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

Asteroid

Re: Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

@SamsungTrevor wrote:

Thanks so much for reaching out, @user594bXNOGi9. Occasionally stairs are not counted when inside, have you been able to test this outside to see if you see this same behavior?

I'm sorry, but I find this response totally unacceptable.  It sometimes has problems with stairs inside?!  That's where most of us will climb stairs - in fact, I don't even have easy access to outside stairs anywhere.

FYI, I've had this issue since the first day I put the watch on - on March 22, 2018.  It's completely up to date and is connected to an HTC 10 (not that *what* you connect to should have any bearing at all as to whether the watch can count stairs properly).  I wear a Fitbit One in my pocket and it is always correct.  The Gear Sport is usually off by 50% or more.  I don't understand how a $99 Fitbit can do something better than a ~$250 watch.

The building where I work has 15' ceilings, so counting for the depth of the upper floors, there is at least 16' inbetween floors.  Most of the time, I get credit for one floor. Sometimes none at all.  There's no reason users should have to bend down to the floor on the first floor and then reach for the ceiling on the second floor to make the watch count properly.

Asteroid

@Kyle94 wrote:

Is this the only issue people are having with the Sport?

No. Anytime you are doing something where you're pushing something (like a shopping cart, stroller, or a lawn mower), the Sport senses some movement but doesn't count steps correctly.  For example, I recently mowed the grass in my yard and the Sport gave me credit for a 1 hour "Other workout" however it registered just 1500 steps.  During that same time, my Fitbit One in my pocket registered over 5,000 steps.  Same thing happens every time I go grocery shopping.  I have learned that I have to take the watch off and put it in my pocket to get credit for steps during those times.  Crazy.

Constellation

I agree.  it's not sometimes... it's always. This is clear in this lengthy thread of complaints.  calling the help line is utterly useless.

The lack of acceptable response to fixing the issue has made me change my mind about samsung.  I've been a loyal customer for 10+ years,  but clearly samsung had gotten too big to care about its customers anymore.

The acceptable response to this would be to issue a recall and replace every single device with watches that work as advertised.

Samsung produced watches that counted stairs and steps more accurately before this one.  It makes no sense. 

Astronaut

My Gear Sport ALWAYS undercounts the number of flights I climb. Just went up to my 5th floor apt placing my watch hand near the floor before starting, near the ceiling at the top...got credit for 2 flights. 

Astronaut

I currently  have my gear sport connected to an S9+ and am having this same issue

Constellation

I still facw the issue with gear sport

Constellation

Hi, 

I believe it is a problem for everyone, for instance i bought the tracker June 4th and I see that the floor count is not worrking. Pls.fix it.

Astronaut

From what I've heard it is kind of set to 'american' standards, which would mean it only counts stairs when there about 3 meters high. However, in Europe a floor generally is about 2,7 meters. So to start with, it would make life a lot better if samsung would simply adjust this, which shouldn't be to difficult I think....

I think for the money we pay for this watch, we can expect some service....

Constellation

This is very frustrating.  I work in an office on the 2nd floor. I take the stairs multiple times 10+ times per day.  Today it didn't count a single flight of stairs much less allnof them.  I just bought my gear sport watch mainly because it is an attractive fitness monitor and I generally love Samsung.  The watch is connected to a Samsung S9+.  I'm seriously considering taking it back to Best Buy and getting the Fitbit.  Very disappointed customer.

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

Brand new sport and it's not counting stairs at all. I work from home and walk up and down the stairs all day and it hasn't counted a single floor in 2 days.. considering taking back to Best Buy and getting  a FitBit or Garmin!

I am also concerned that this has been going on since January and still no fix? Wish I would have seen this before buying one for Father's Day!

It is also interesting that the support guy says that the GPS is part of the problem. What does the GPS have to do with h stairs. My old $99 Fitbit counted stairs just fine and it didn't have a GPS!