Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

Asteroid

Re: Gear Sport Floor Count no correct

I recently purchased a Gear S3 Frontier and noticed the floors climbed issue. I had come to hate my FitBit, but one of the only things it did correctly was count floors. But it did do it differently

One thing I noticed on the S3 was that when checking the altitude, results would vary from the same exact location. Standing at the bottom of the stairs at my work, with the watch steady at my chest, the altitude would vary from 184 to 192. It's is 14 vertical feet from the bottom floor to the second floor at work. The S3 would count it anywhere from 8 to 16 feet. 

If I stand at the bottom of the stairs for a few seconds, let the altitude measurement stabilize, them walk to the top. It counts that as a floor. If I walk up and down the stairs, without stopping (like I'm exercising) it misses the majority of the floors climbed.

If I walk up the stairs, turn around, walk down and when I reach the bottom, walk down the hall 20 feet or so then walk back and up the stairs again, it counts the floor. 

I also noticed when adjacent doors to the stairwell are closed, readings are less accurate that when the doors are opened. And I noticed  early in the morning, after all the doors have been closed all night and air pressure in the building is high, floor count is more inaccurate. 

For those who came from FitBits, floors are measured differently. FitBits measure a floor as a combined total. Where as the S3 seems to need to complete and entire floor, non stop before a full floor is counted. For example, with my FitBit, I could walk half way up the stairs, back down, the half way back up again and it would count as a total floor climbed.

On a normal day at work, I'll go up stairs 50 to 60 times a day. The FitBit was pretty accurate when I used a tally sheet at the top of the stairs to test its accuracy when I first got it. My S3 counts 12 to 18 a day.

Not a deal breaker with the S3, but I wish it was more accurate in this instance. Among other things. 

Asteroid

I am also having issues with my sports gear counting floors. I see this thread has started since January. It’s June almost July and still no fix to this? I returned my Fitbit Versa for this watch about a week ago. Too many issues with Fitbit. First time owner of another fitness/smartwatch device and I really love the sport gear over the Versa except for the floor counts. But that is my only issue with the sports gear. It would be nice if Samsung fixed this soon. Moderators here are very similar to the Fitbit ones as they really offer no help. I don’t think calling that number from the moderator will really fix the problem. I truly hope there will be some kind of solution soon as I am really enjoying my sports gear. 

Astronaut

Same problem here, barely counting a floor if it there is only 1 or 2 Floors in the building. The European/German Floors doesn't reach 3m they are mostly between 2.7-2.8m, so probably that is the main problem here. A correction in Firmware should be made for the devices used in Europe. I also noticed, that the speed of walk ist making a difference too. I can't understand how many cheaper and/or older devices can do it better? It should not be perfectly accurate, +-20% difference is ok, but 50-60% or even more is absolutely not acceptable.

Samsung Moderator

Samsung Moderator

Hello, just following up to see if you need any assistance?

Asteroid

Well, it’s been counting my floors these past few days. Usually it will just count the first floor then stop but I’ve gotten 2 or 3 which I have actually did. So ill keep monitoring it. I haven’t don’t any trouble shooting so I’m wondering if it just stops then works again? I dunno. Hopefully this will get fixed soon. 

Astronaut

Mine is connected to a galaxy phone and not counting stairs at all and steps seem to only be counted once in awhile. 

Supernova

@user94DQLzZsLV: Can I get the full model number and the software version of the device? 

Asteroid

Ok mine stopped again. This is very frustrating.

Constellation

+1 brand new sport it counts floors 15% of the time.

Food for thought: how many samsung employees does it take to fix floor counter?

And yes to any samsung employee the replies to me. My watch is up to date, every app is up to date. Have tried restart, complete battery depletion then full charge and try again. I'm using galaxy s8 which is up to date.

NEWS FLASH: ITS YOUR SOFTWARE.