Gear Sport HR Tracking

Highlighted
Constellation

Gear Sport HR Tracking

The heartrate monitor is consistently off.  I can check my own heart rate and it will be roughly 60 BPM, but the watch shows 120+.  I'll be sitting down resting with continues reading and it will still do this.

I'm currently sitting at my desk at work and it shows 164 BPM, but checking my pulse on my neck shows 66 BPM.  The accuracy is spectacular.

I knew it wouldn’t be very accurate, but this is useless.  Anyone have any insight into why this may be or ways to help improve it?

5 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: Gear Sport HR Tracking

To add onto this.  I have the strap fairly tight to my wrist.  I cannot fit a single finger between the strap and my wrist.  I've also tried wearing the watch face on the bottom of my wrist to see if it is more accurate there.  No change for the HRM.

Supernova

Hi @userdwWiSLgoFH Thanks for bringing this to the Community.  As show in the diagram on page 8 of the User Manual for the Gear Sport, your device should be worn below just below your wrist bone, fastened securely but not super tight, with the heart rate sensor laying on the top of your wrist. If you cannot fit a finger between your strap and your wrist, I would recommend loosening it just a little bit and seeing it makes a difference in the heart rate tracking.

Supernova

Hello again @userdwWiSLgoFH I was just checking in to see if this worked for you. Please let me know. Smiley Very Happy

Constellation

After playing around with settings and where I'm wearing the watch I found an optimal location and settings.  Placing the watch roughly 3/4 of an inch below the wrist bone and turning OFF continues heart rate monitor seems to provide proper HRM.  If either of these two is different the HRM is off by a large factor.

The position of the watch makes it uncomfortable as it is sitting to far back on the arm.

Constellation

I am seeing the same differences with my S3 running 3.0.0.1 - R760XXU2CQL1.

No matter how I possition the watch, it will keep showing an abnormal high rate. Rebooting the watch will make it show a more correct rate. I've had this multiple times now. e.g S3 shows 120, S8 shows 62. After a reboot the watch will match the phone reading. Given some time after the reboot the heart rate is way off again.

This causes all the readings of the watch and insights to be obsolete.