JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 01-20-2017 03:12 PM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

JUMP TO SOLUTION
188 Replies
usercDSk4ikRyV
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same problem here. Have had the Gear S2 for over a year with no problems , now the battery won't even last a single day. I haven't changed anything except updated the software. The gear app says the watch faces is draining the battery. I don't have the constant on or wake gesture turned on. My phone battery now lasts longer than the watch. Samsung, please put out a fix. Thank you.

0 Likes
usersn6PPPsbnc
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

i got gear s2 rm 270 dont remember correctly, install latest  update and got problem 4-5 hours battery only in idle.

so what i done to fix it. 

problem as some say here is smart watch is talking with smartphone too much. (as understand is update more inetelectual, that why) 

i got iphone 6 

1.i was reset gear s2 and remove fully samsung apps which use gear s2

2. re install them (also remove from bluetooth manager.

now when everything re installed time setup and here you needto disableeverything that you no need. 

3. when i connects gear to phone i set use watch only when using app

4. after the setup gear in  setting i was disable vibration and some widgets alerts in widgets settings like workout (because it still count  steps)

5. going to re installed samsung gear manager  and remove some apps i dont use. 

6. wifi in gear i have to disable 

i think something miss

so right now i got gear connected to iphone on bluetooth with notifications, hearth rate, step counter, sleep, etc 

about 24*2 

0 Likes
userbMxAF5sJ7d
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

This is the exact thing that happened to me. Has anyone found a solution. Mine literally started plowing through battery about seven or eight days ago. It literally dies by midday. I tried doing a factory reset but that helped only minimally.

0 Likes
Carlos_7538
Galaxy
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Sadly nobody from Samsung reads this board, you're either going to have contact their tech support direct, my watch has been to the store once already and they still haven't fixed it. I have taken to twitter to light a fire under them to get my expensive watch fixed.
0 Likes
user73nyan8tpN
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Thank you! I too have tried everything but it still drains so fast it doesn't last through a day!  It is definitely a software problem. It needs to be fixed immediately! It was a very expensive watch, so they should fix this terrible battery drain  problem! 

Is it also a problem with the telephone app is it making the watch battery drain? 

Samsung you need to fix this battery problem fast!!! Rack your brains and get it fixed!

0 Likes
userVSm6TPPASJ
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@userxOkTBMl4M6 wrote:

Same issue.

If all of us have the same issue and starts suddenly its a software problem. The battery does not pass from lasting 1+ day to hours feom one day to another. The batteries usually dead progressively.

And all of us have the same problem ant with the contacts app consuming most of the battery. So this is not a hardware problem but a software problem.

So Samsun HAS to solve it ASAP to keep their customers happy.

For me my watch is now an expensive piece of iron since noon. 

No solution and no answer from Samsung in two months with a lot of people affected as you can see in this forum.

Most of us has tried trial and error solutions while is Samsun task to provide a solution instead of the complete silence of months.

Just thinking not to update to S9+ and changing to other brand. 

It's not just two months. It's years. Samsung, this is a disgrace! Fix this software problem. Otherwise, I'd never but another watch from you. Buying another phone at this point is iffy (and I have a note 8).

0 Likes
usert3qE8EtlNv
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Mine has never lasted more than 8 hours.  I did all of this as well and still do not get more than 8 hours.  They need to stop advertising that it will last for a few days.

0 Likes
Edneuen
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My wife recently got an S8 Plus (coming from Note 4). She used to have a day + on her Gear S2, now it's dead within 5 hours. What happened?

0 Likes
TLynnSmith
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have a Galaxy S8+. I got the Gear 2 because of a carrier promotion. I was so excited to get it. I thought I'd have a great way to keep track of time while at work, and get any emergency alerts. I can't have my phone with me during appointments.

What a big disappointment. First day I used it, the battery drained after 5 hours. I went thru the reset, and dumbed the watch down, hoping I would see significant improvement. Nope. The thing is , I don't think I should have to turn everything off, to get at least 12 hours of use - especially when your website claims the watch runs for a few DAYS, on one charge.  What's the point? The watch recently starting having to cool down from high temperatures. 

If I'd wanted a dumb watch, I could have saved an extra $10 a month, plus an activation fee and purchased a regular watch. This should not be happening. I'm taking it back tomorrow. 

usertb6IWYcsr3
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

This is my exact problem too!   

I've had my Gear S2 3G watch for about 9 months...  Never had ANY battery problem with this watch since I've had it....

All of a sudden (within the last week or so), my battery dies so quickly...  I took my watch off the charger at 6AM, and it was 100%.  By 11AM, my watch buzzes, and says 'low battery'.  I'm at 15% in 5 hours...  

I'm reading that people are turning things off, removing their watch face, turning EVERYTHING off, except for BT.  What???  I never had to do that before, and why the hell should I have to do this to use my watch for ONE DAY???  It worked fine before this recent update...  

Is Samsung going to address this issue?    What is the status on this fix???