S6 Wifi 'authentication error occurred' since firmware-update

SOLVED
Asteroid

S6 Wifi 'authentication error occurred' since firmware-update

A few days ago my Galaxy S6 got a firmware-update to G920FXXu5EQI8.
Since then the wifi-connection to my router (FritzBox) does not work properly.
It works a few minutes then the connection is lost and the S6 shows 'authentication error occurred'.
The router manufacturer AVM has looked into the logs and says the problem ist caused by the S6.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Asteroid
Solution
Accepted by topic author userIJ0BpiAH5h
3 weeks ago

Re: S6 Wifi 'authentication error occurred' since firmware-update

I posted this over on /r/galaxys6 on reddit and here is the response I got from somebody over there. Hope this helps somebody here.

The band steering part is the router configuration, not the phone. Does your router use two different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi? Usually you'll see something like "access-point" and "access-point-5GHz" if so. If both bands use just one SSID, then the router is doing band steering, which may be not working well with part of the security patch.

If the router uses one SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, then you have to change the configuration in the router, either disabling band steering, which may be called something different in the router, and/or configure the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands to separate SSIDs. If this is the case with your setup, you can probably safely connect to both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and the phone will handover correctly once you have separated the SSIDs for the bands. The authentication error can be caused by two different SSIDs with the same name, so this could likely resolve the issue.

If you have two different SSIDs already, just delete the one that isn't for the 5GHz band (if it's strong enough, otherwise you might want to try using only the 2.4GHz band and delete the 5GHz SSID from the phone) from the phone, so it only connects to one or the other. This may help, but if you already have two different SSIDs for the two bands, then it's probably not the issue.

The issue is more likely related to having two bands sharing the same SSID and the phone thinking it's being tricked, so it won't connect when it finds two different MAC addresses sharing the same SSID. By separating the bands into separate SSIDs, it should resolve this. It's possible that the patch for the KRACK wifi exploit has increased security, causing duplicate SSIDs with different MAC addresses to be blocked in case someone is trying to spoof the SSID.

79 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Hey Community! Anyone else seeing this problem? Anyone have a workaround? Let us know!  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

I have the exact same issue since the last update. Also, my battery life has been horrible since the last update as well. I've reset my phone back to factory, deleted cache partition, nothing fixes it.

Astronaut

I have the same error since several weeks (after OTA update).

Seems to be widespread and is discussed in a lot of forums.

Samsung must do something about.

Astronaut

I've had the same issue since taking the latest update ended up with data charges from my carrier. Two other S6 in the house didn't take the update and they have no issue. Sometimes turning BT  off works sometimes not. Just got online by turning on airplane mode but what is the sense in that. Need an update to fix this crappy update!

Constellation

Same problem here, only affecting the two s6's we have in our house, the s7's are fine. Happens at home and at work, called Samsung, they claimed it was because I didn't regularily wipe the cache partition, the only way I can connect is by wiping the cache partition, go to a different network if i want to connect I have to repeat. 

The battery drains like crazy because it's constantly trying to connect. This is a Samsung issue that they are ignoring, happened after the last update. 

Constellation

Same issue here, on Galaxy S6 with Android 7.0, build NRD90M.G920FXXS5EQK9. Not a mesh network, but an access point configured to use the same SSID on 2.4 and 5GHz (TP-Link C5400 configured in "Smart Connect", which means there are internally multiple networks, but all with the same SSID). Restarting the WiFi doesn't help, neither does forgetting the network, the phone needs to be rebooted completely, and then it connects automatically again... for a short while.
Constellation

I've the same issue.. I live in Italy and my s6 is a brand Vodafone . The issues has started since the last ota firmware update ..
In my case, moreover, a lot of battery drain is appeared..
Astronaut

I also have the authentication error on my S6 when connecting to any WIFI network. I only found out because of huge extra data charges from my carrier.

I hope samsung fixes this error asap.

Constellation

I have 2 S6's and am also seeing this same authentication failure. I can sometimes disable the WIFI, then enable it, and it will connect.