Galaxy s8 keeps restarting by itself

Cosmic Ray

Re: What about the "new SD card inserted" pop up?

[ Edited ]

@Dualmonitors

No, I do not have any problem with SD.  

My current SD card is SanDisk Ultra Plus 128GB I stole from my Camcorder.  It was not new card, I formatted outside the phone. Deleting all partition table then I installed it in the GS8, then using GS8 to formatted it again.

HTH

Cosmic Ray

I don't understand when taking a new S8+ out of the box for the first time, when one inserts the Nano SIM and the SD card, start up the phone, go through the initialization process, HOW one may format the SD card?  there is no option to do so DURING THE SET UP process!

my SD card is brand new.  my Nano SIM is my previous SIM from my S7 Edge.  This is not an unusual scenario - folks using their previous nano sim and buying a new SD card.

why don't they provide a "Format now before proceeding" type of option DURING THE SET UP process?

how do the rest of you format during the set up process, may i ask?

This is my SD card, which I spend time and effort looking for and then deciding on --

I purchased from Samsung dot com the following 2017 NEW 128GB Micro SD Card:

Micro SD EVO Plus Memory Card 2/Adapter 128GB  (2017 Model)

MB-MC128GA/AM
(note please that I purchased it directly from Samsung dot com)

kindly please note that it is NOT  the following very similar sounding (actually oddly and confusingly similar sounding) 128GB "EVO+" card:

Micro SD  EVO+ Memory Card w/Adapter 128GB
MB-MC128DA/AM

this is about as legit as one can possibly get:  the newest, fastest available on Samsung dot com memory card.

Guess what?  It's giving me issues?!?

Huh?
Asteroid

Before I did my reset my memory card kept disconnecting itself. Any apps I had on it would become inaccessible and if I was using one it would close out. It looked like the SD card was dismounting itself constantly. I did not format the card prior to insertion into the phone. I formatted it upon inserting it and I put it in after doing my phone set up.  About 24 hours later actually because I purchased it on Amazon after getting my phone.  My last phone was 16GB and even with expanded storage the 64GB the S8+ has meant I didn't need to put a memory card in before transferring my stuff over.

However, now that I have the phone working with no reboots I think I might format the card on my computer and then put it back in my phone after that. Its still got my info from before the factory reboot, so I don't want to risk anything getting onto the phone that may have been causing the problems to begin with. I meant to do that today, but will get to it tomorrow or Saturday first thing. 

Cosmic Ray

No problem with SD card but I do get a notification upon restarting the phone: "SD Card - Tap here to transfer media files"

Which I remember seeing every time after restarting after crash. 

Cosmic Ray

I've tried factory reset with no apps and no sd card installed and made it around the 6 hour mark before the rest happened. This is so frustrating. I might just pick up a used cheap Android phone until this problem has been solved. It's so annoying that Samsung hasn't addressed this issue. I get that they probably don't want to negative pr but your going to loose faithful customers over it. 

Honored Contributor

This is something that's being looked into. Even though it's been helping for others here, doesn't mean I stopped reporting in on it. As I mentioned awhile back, this information has been updated to my tracker and sent off for the right people at Samsung to look into.

@userw02tyc6i7t - When you did the factory reset, was it from the boot menu, or did you use the full system restore from Smart Switch. On top of that, did you notice what app had been installed previously to the restart happening again, or if you synced any contacts over from your old backups?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Constellation

Re: Galaxy s8 keeps restarting by itself

I tried the hard reset and everything seems good so far! I had to disable all syncing when I was going thru they initial start up process on the phone and downloaded all my apps one by one.  Only problem is now is that I can't sync any of my contacts from my gmail. How do I enable it again? This is infuriating. 

Cosmic Ray

re: update

[ Edited ]

@SamsungMarcos

Thank you for following up with Samsung.  It could just be something simple.  At any rate, I guess I am one of the lucky one going on 4 days now.  Just finished 45 min riding my bike and have the GS8 paried up with my Garmin cycling GPS,  no problem.

Tomorrow or weekend if no rain,  I will try to get my Garmin cadence speed and heart rate monitor to pair up directly to GS8 via ANT+ and see how it's goes. 

While you are talking to Samsung, would it be too much to see if they can make the AOD work like my Moto X Active Display?  Instead of stay on forever, just make it breath on and off like my old Moto Moto X Smiley Happy   

I kind of miss Moto X Active Display other wise my GS8 is working so far so good. 

BTW now I went with blue icons pack for now and still hold up fine. 

It have to be something simple that causing all of these restarts...got to be...

Screenshot_20170427-162236.png

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

userFBeAUeErMR wrote:

I tried the hard reset and everything seems good so far! I had to disable all syncing when I was going thru they initial start up process on the phone and downloaded all my apps one by one.  Only problem is now is that I can't sync any of my contacts from my gmail. How do I enable it again? This is infuriating. 

Phone contact?  I think my sync up as soon as I set up my Gmail and Google Play.

Perhaps you need to go to:  Cloud and Accounts  > Accounts > Google and see if sync was enable.

Asteroid

The Hard Reset did not work for me, I was good for about 5 hours and have seen 2 restarts in the last hour now...