Samsung Messages Bugs With the RCS /Advanced Messg Update on T-Mo - Premature Sending, Wrong thread

Constellation

Re: Samsung Messages Bugs With the RCS /Advanced Messg Update on T-Mo - Premature Sending, Wrong thr

Hi there, I am very curious about your situation.

So, I want to clarify the conditions under which this occurs.

1. It only happens when you schedule SMS/MMS?

2. The messages only go out to other users that are on your same plan? If not, please be very specific about the users the messages do go to (I.E. are they contacts? Are those contacts stored on phone SIM, or in a cloud service?), etc.

Also, if you would be willing, to capture logs, I can go offline with you and share the process. 

Please email me at: samsungtps@gmail.com

Cosmic Ray

Re: Samsung Messages Bugs With the RCS /Advanced Messg Update on T-Mo - Premature Sending, Wrong thr

Hi, Thanks for your reply!

1. I have only noticed the issues when scheduling SMS/MMS.

2. The recepients are not on any specific plan or carrier that I can tell.

They are all my contacts.  All my contacts are stored in / synced with Outlook Exchange.

3. I can share some logs.

Thanks again

Mike

Samsung Moderator

Hello userAVfqD8fWoV, 

We have reached out to you via private message, please follow up with us whenever you have a moment. 

Thank you. 

Constellation

THIS IS NOT A CARRIER ISSUE! I am a new Samsung user just having received my Samsung 9 last Friday. I am with ATT. Had this happen to me over the weekend where a photo was sent to a contact I was messaging. I did not send the photo so was quite surprised when i received the text from my contacting asking why it was sent!! 

I called customer care and oddly, they reported that they are not aware of this issue!! I told them to just google it and they will see multiple reports in the news. Does not inspire me to believe Samsung is aggressively working on this bug if their mgt has not even communicated the issue to customer care. 

I have 4 more days to return the galaxy and go back to Apple. I am thinking I might just do that since you dont really hear of bugs like this with Apple. 

Comet

Hey, 

I have SM-G960U. T-Mobile. I've been reading every thing I can find on T-mobile implementation of RCS universal profile. I'm also trying to figure out how exactly how it works with the default Samsung messages app. I have the same message app version as you as well as the same June android update. As far as I know RCS should be working with others on our carrier but T-mobile hasn't yet released universal profile for our phone models. They started with the S7 and S7 edge I think.

I'm having some other strange issues with the messaging app trying to send mms to my own phone number. It tries to send as a file transfer which is one of the features of RCS. Fails most of time. I'm watching how it sends the message is using the cellular network or data network.

So I'm curious as to how this turns out for you. I don't have that same issue with scheduled messages. I'm testing with the android messages app now. I've managed to set up and test the web messages option it's working great. It seems to be using Wi-Fi data network for sending and receiving text and mms messages.

Please let everyone know what you find out about the strange issue you're having with scheduleed messages. 

Thanks 

Cosmic Ray

Hi Comet,

I haven't had any issues with my S7 Edge before I upgraded to S9+.

I haven't checked the logs but in addition to the issues I listed above I also noticed:

A. Duplicate messages (sent and received)

B. Some MMS images show as "cancelled".  But then occasionally certain images didn't go with my S7E either.

Thanks

Comet

Hey, 

@DrDeLaHoya

Thanks for the reply. Android messages doesn't seem to have an option for scheduled messages or to view typing. I'm starting to think that RCS isn't fully deployed and functional on either one of the two apps. It seems like the more I read the less I know.

I noticed something weird when testing the Samsung messages app. When it actually does send a text message with an image attached it doesn't convert it to MMS. It sends 2 out to my phone number and receives 2 in. When I look at the detail info on them the text part is sent and received as sms. The image attachement is sent and received as mms. When I use android messages it sends and receives both of them as one mms.

Just to add more confusion I added a new contact. Phone number@tmomail. net, which displays a message when starting a new thread, converting to MMS and then sends and receives them as one mms message. Strange that seems to use cellular data.

This stuff is not as annoying as the issue you're having but it's close. You've done everything I can think of to try and clear the issue. I really would like to know what the solution is. Hopefully you'll be able to resolve it soon. I assume it is OK to have Wi-Fi calling enabled and set to Wi-Fi preferred. I haven't seen any reference to that in my travels.

Have a great 4th of July. 

Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

Hey Comet,

Yes Android Messages dose not have the scheduling option.  Textra does, BUT Textra does not support RCS.

I haven't done as much investigative work as you to try to pinpoint the problem.  Waiting for Samsung to request the SMS / MMS logs.

I am assuming all of this should get resolved in the next few updates.

It is frustrating that it's so buggy from the start however.
My Wi-Fi calling is ON but cellular preferred (because my plan is unlimited).

Thanks,

Mike

Comet

Hey, 

You're right we're going to need an update from T-mobile for universal profile and probably an update for the Samsung messages app. The message app version we're using needs the T-mobile update to work the way it's supposed to. The Android messages app version I'm using doesn't even have chat settings and services yet but it will soon. There working with T-mobile to get everything up and running. They speculate sometime this year. 

I found a hidden folder that contains all the media files that have failed to send using RCS.

I'm definitely on the T-mobile network and my phone and messages app are RCS ready so I created a new contact with my initials CLF and set up the phone number using the standard +1 xxx-xxx-xxxx format. With android messages it sends and receives without any issues at all. It doesn't have chat yet but will soon. With Samsung messages it does some strange things. It does have chat included but I'm not so sure it should be using it. The sent and received reports work well.

I'm waiting for the T-mobile update most of all because I think it will resolve most of the issues we've been having. 

Thanks, 

CLF 

Cosmic Ray

There is a new Samsung Messages apk 5.0.21.32 but it will not install on my phone:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/samsung-messages/