Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

Cosmic Ray

Re: Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

Switched the HR monitor to 'Always' this afternoon, and then headed out for a stroll with my dog.

When I got back, the HR widget said it hadn't made a measurement in 42 minutes.

I just don't understand how a device marketed as a sport and fitness tracker can't measure heartrate on a leisurely walk. I feel like I've been cheated and I want my money back.

Constellation

I see, that the problem is still present. After motherboard change, it acts weird, HR jumps from high to low and does not represent the actual bpm. Unfortunately, the repair service does not see the problem this time. So at the moment, I am left with unusable device, that gives wrong HR readings.
Asteroid

I sent my Gear Sport in to Samsung for 'repair' about 5 days ago, no response yet. Based on what I've read, I'm not very optimistic, but hopeful, it'd be nice it if works. I didn't expect it, but I've become pleased with the various smartwatch features that connect it with my phone. 

So, one option I've considered and must ask. 

Can the Gear series, Sport in my case, connect to a dedicated HRM, one that is proven to be able to measure heart rates during intensive workouts? For example, I've read good reviews about the Wahoo Tickr X or the Polar arm band monitors - can these be connected to the Gear smartwatch so that the HR can be read? [should this question be asked in a separate thread?]

Asteroid

There is an app in the Gear app store called Sporty Watch that does support a chest strap.  It's $3, I haven't personally tried it but I've had the same thought.

http://www.qooapps.com/sporty-watch.html

Asteroid

Astrogalactic,

I have set my HR setting to always for the last week and during the day at my desk job, I'll see it jump into the 100s for 20 minutes randomly.   During the night sleeping it seems to behave normally and the last 3 bicycle rides the data looks plausible but becasue it's all over the place I would never consider it accurate.

Constellation

If you set your device HR reading to "Always", it drains battery instantly, doesn't it? If you do so, it measures the HR everytime and always, during workouts, after workouts, etc.
Asteroid

I used the always setting for a week and I could get through 24 hours with it set that way, including excersizing.

Constellation

That's sad, because usually watch can last 3-4 days.
Constellation

[ Edited ]

This problem also happens in the EU and across different devices.

I have managed to get the problem passed to the developers but have yet to hear back.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smartphones-Tablets-Wearables/Gear-Sport-Not-Tracking-Heart-Rate...

The problem is the Samsung health app on the watch.

When you record a workout using a third party app such as 'gear tracker', the heart rate records consistantly 100% of the time. When you record a workout using Samsung health app you get the flat lines people have reported here.

Constellation

Gear Sport. I have the same problem. However I noticed the line on manual measure is beautiful as it shall be clear and no random peaks  However it stills say couldn't measure hr. 

It measures HR for about week without problems on bike, during swimming, firing day and in rest. Now one suceful reading for 3-4 hours  

It is frustrating that it does not measure correctly swimming pool lengths number. 50% error makes swimming monitor useless the same as watch.