Original topic:

Miserable Android Auto experience on S21 Ultra

(Topic created: 01-02-2022 12:18 PM)
yakk
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
I've got S21 Ultra 5G and have been experiencing android auto issues forever. 

The phone when plugged into the car does not initiate the Android auto properly. Some of the common but persistent issues are

1. Black screen on the car infotainment system with no display on android auto.
2. Android auto defaults to its home screen on car with no navigation(maps)
3. Google assistant fails to execute the command.

I've tried uninstalling android auto, providing all permissions possible on S21 Ultra 5G, hard resetting car's infotainment system at dealership etc but all these issues still persist. 

I filed the bug with samsung team on members app but they blame it on Google and rub their hands off it.

Surprisingly it works flawlessly from a Pixel device on the same car, so it's definitely not a Google issue. IDK what the heck Samsung is doing with Android 12 and this One UI 4 bugs messup.
yakk
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
Right. My car doesn't have a type C connector for smartphone
0 Likes
incog_
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
You know , I hate to say things like hard reset your phone but since you have had an os upgrade it would be worth thinking about it. I been in IT floor support for over a decade and seem some really odd things and sometimes things just need to be wiped. I know it's a pita and I dred it myself but I do it to avoid weird things popping up. I usually only back up messages and maybe contacts and install most apps and settings from scratch. A few days worth of work. I know.
0 Likes
yakk
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
Yea. Honestly I was keeping a hard reset as a last resort as I need to redo all the apps I use biometrics with as I don't remember the passwords.

Also I'd lose and would need to reestablish the authenticator keys for many things. That's a whole another headache
0 Likes
yakk
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
I'm using the same Samsung cable that came with my S21 Ultra. It works for data transfer from phone when connected to a PC. It doesn't get any higher quality than this one

I'm also certain it's not a cable issue.
0 Likes
uservtErBkxqVV
Constellation
Options
Android 12
Have S21 5g can't get any Gmail! Please he6
0 Likes
usercp4vEoKGHD
Asteroid
Options
Android 12

My new S21 Ultra will not connect to my 2021 Mercedes GLE 450 via cable.  Physically, yes, it is connected.  However, the car does not recognize that it is connected.

Yes, I have a quality cable.  I cannot use the Samsung cable that came with the phone because it is a USB A to USB C and my car only has a USB C port.  

Therefore, I cannot use Android Auto.

I had a Note 20 Ultra that connected to the car just fine.  Unfortunately, that phone did not survive a fall despite a protective case, hence the new phone.  Because my car connected to the Note 20, I'm assuming there's something that needs to be done to the S21.  I  have had numerous Samsung phones and I loved them, but this one is about to be sold in favor of another brand if I cannot connect it to my car.

Any assistance with this matter would be appreciated greatly.  Thanks!

Adaboy
Supernova
Options
Android 12
When you connect does your phone give you the option for USB charging, USB media, USB transfer of files?
0 Likes
usercp4vEoKGHD
Asteroid
Options
Android 12

No choices are given to me and no indication that it is connected to the car.  It just indicates that it is charging,  as if I had connected it to the charger.   Thank you for responding! 

0 Likes
NeonX89
Comet
Options
Android 12
Well android auto long as it's enabled needs to go though your cars "data port" if it's the USB "a or c" type. But did you know (some cars Connect to Android auto Wirelessley?)
0 Likes
usercp4vEoKGHD
Asteroid
Options
Android 12

Yes, I even tried the wireless approach and that did not work either.  Wireless works to make calls and show text messages and that's all.  Thank you for responding!

0 Likes