Original topic:

Miserable Android Auto experience on S21 Ultra

(Topic created: 01-01-2022 08:35 PM)
yakk
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
I've got S21 Ultra 5G and have been experiencing android auto issues forever. 

The phone when plugged into the car does not initiate the Android auto properly. Some of the common but persistent issues are

1. Black screen on the car infotainment system with no display on android auto.
2. Android auto defaults to its home screen on car with no navigation(maps)
3. Google assistant fails to execute the command.

I've tried uninstalling android auto, providing all permissions possible on S21 Ultra 5G, hard resetting car's infotainment system at dealership etc but all these issues still persist. 

I filed the bug with samsung team on members app but they blame it on Google and rub their hands off it.

Surprisingly it works flawlessly from a Pixel device on the same car, so it's definitely not a Google issue. IDK what the heck Samsung is doing with Android 12 and this One UI 4 bugs messup.
37 Replies
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Android 12

Most of the AA issues we've seen resolved have been fixed by using a high quality cable, try that if you haven't.  We've even had a couple of folks say their cable works fine with their Pixel but then bought another cable and it worked with the S21....don't know why, maybe something specific to the S21 USB chip. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
worm-o
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
I can tell you the cable is not what is wrong with android auto they to fix the software because it worked good with 11
0 Likes
yakk
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
Thank you for your suggestion. I'm actually using Samsung's original cable.

Do you happen to know what other cable I can try? Are you referring to Anker or something on the similar lines?
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Android 12

If you're using Samsung's original USB-C to USB-C cable then that should be good...unless there's a defect in that particular cable.

I actually used this cable for a while but I imagine that Anker would be good and I have since gone wireless with the AAWireless dongle and it is absolutely flawless.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3 (VZW)
0 Likes
yakk
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
I see, thanks for the recommendation. I've tried 2 original Samsung cables (USB type A to Type C) and it didn't help.

Can you please provide more details on which wireless AA dongle do you use?

Thanks
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Android 12

Those are older cables, try a new one.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S21/Wireless-Android-Auto/m-p/2047553

Bill
---
0 Likes
yakk
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
AAWireless is an indigogo campaign and is an experimental crowd funded product.

The earliest delivery, If ever is March. I thought you were referring to commercially available devices, purchasable off the shelf.
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Android 12

@yakk yep, it's a crowd funded effort.  I received mine in back in  October and I'm telling you that it works flawlessly and they've delivered thousands of them.  If you think that wireless AA is something that you would be interested it then you could back it now and March will be here before you know it 😉  I also heard that they would be going retail in the new year but I haven't been following the project since I got mine.  There are also one or two other makers of the technology but I have no experience with them.

As for recommendations to buy a new cable or to Factory Reset, both of those solutions have worked for others.

Bill
---
0 Likes
incog_
Astronaut
Options
Android 12
Everyone ALWAYS plays the cable thing and I'm sure countless people purchased cables for no reason. Here is the thing. Since you already have two devices if the cable works on your pixel then it's not the cable. Further more most cars do not have standard USB type c connector. They are A type female connectors.

Also, if you do buy a cable make sure it's a power/data cable, not a power cable. Most are but I have seen ones that are not. USB cable configuration has been the same for decades. Just because a cable is a few years old does not mean the configuration of the pins changed.

There are also some poor quality USB A to C cables out there. Most of those have been removed, but I would definitely do some research about before you pull the trigger