JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Moisture detection in charging port after 2.5 UI update

(Topic created: 09-29-2020 10:29 AM)
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Is anyone else having this problem with moisture detected in your charging port. I'm on day 5 of this issue. I went to the Samsung store was told it would cost me $450 usa dollars to fix it. This started after the 2.5 ui update. FML. SO DISAPPOINTED. 

Update it went away for a day and now is back
93 Replies
Blafr
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I have the same problem but only happens when I turn off the phone and sometimes when is on

Blafr
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Any news that happens after the last update even with my power bank it happens and it uses to appear fast changing now that don't happens to and I try different original charger and is the same symptoms

0 Likes
teamblend
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

It started out a couple weeks ago with it coming on then going away. Then it would come back daily and now it's stayed on and won't go away indefinitely. My phone has never been in or near water and it's not humid where I live. I wanted the Note 20 but after this headache I'm changing my mind! What can be done to resolve this Samsung? This phones to expense to have this erroneous issue happen. 

Solution
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I know how frustrating this is. I've had it happen myself. I understand that you stated that there has been no contact with any type of liquid. However, I am including a couple of articles that would address this issue.

Check the liquid damage indicator on the phone

Moisture in water-resistant Samsung phone's charging port

I recommend trying the factory reset if the above steps are not helpful. Perform a factory reset on your Galaxy phone

If you are still receiving the pop-up, I would recommend having the phone evaluated by a certified technician. You can find the nearest authorized service center using this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/ 

For out of warranty devices, please contact customer service for additional assistance by calling 1-800-726-7864.

For assistance outside the U.S., please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

teamblend
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thanks for the reply. I have already done all that. I even factory reset it and it still is there. This is a big problem for Samsung phones that have never been near water and people that live in dry climates like me and have a useless phone now. This is BEYOND FRUSTRATING. 

usermkAJzkzG9w
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

My daughter's phone started with this last night while charging. Less than 1 year old and has always been in it's otter case, never exposed to water. We've tried everything shy of the factory reset. Have even read this is a common Samsung issue they refuse to acknowledge or address. One post has 42 pages of people all with the same issue spanning multiple devices over 2 years. Too much money invested in these devices to have these kinds of software/ hardware glitches. 

Daniel
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

The way I clear the message has worked every single time for me. Depending what happened, the error may or may not be cleared by any what Samsung tells you to do and you'll have to deal with it with a wireless charger or send it back. but what I do, and have done since the S8 fixes mine every time.

I'll write this for less tech savvy people. 👍

I highly suggest backing up your device.

Check the USB port for dust, liquid, damage. See the end of this to see how I clean a port if it's dirty.

Software fix:

1. Drag down from the top bar, select the cog to enter settings. Select the search button. Search for "apps". On a Note 10 the result you want to select is the app on top called APPS, usually the top one and it has 4 dots to the left on its icon.

2. Select the 3 vertical dot "kebab menu" on the top right (yes that's what it's called).

3. Select "show system apps".

4. Again select the search button, search for and select "ANDROID SYSTEM".

5. Select "force stop" at the bottom and disregard the warning.

6. Hit the back button chevron up on the top left.

7. Again select search, this time search for and select USBSettings.

8. Select "storage"

9. Select "clear cache", ignore any warning.

10. Select "clear data", again ignore any warning.

11. Select the back button chevron on top left.

12. Select "force stop", ignore any warning.

13. At this point it MIGHT have fixed your issue w1but probably not. You can stop here and reboot and try it. If it did not fix it you will have to do all the above steps again and proceed below.

14. Power off the device.

15. Hold VOLUME UP and POWER until it starts booting (note that this is technically different on older devices, S9 and S8 is BIXBY + VOLUME UP + POWER, the Note 10 BIXBY button is the POWER button as well.

16. Scroll down with the volume slider to CLEAR CACHE PARTITION. Select it with the power button and select yes. I do this 3 to 4 times.

17. Select Power the phone off.

18. This step may not be necessary, I myself still do it though. With the phone turned off from the boot loader, I plug in a charger. The phone will immediately come back to boot loader. Unplug the charger and select "reboot device" or "reboot system" (can't remember what it says there). It's a short story but I was distracted at this point and plugged my phone in after power off from the boot loader thinking I had rebooted but it was off, not sure if this changes outcome so I still do it. IDK

19. After boot up, unlock the device and wait a couple of minutes and try your charger. It should work now! But the usual YMMV 🤷🏽‍:male_sign:

Cleaning:

If dirty clean it while the phone is off. I use a soft toothbrush and a few drops of %50 isopropyl alcohol in the port and gently but quickly clean with the toothbrush, and I rinse it clean with more isopropyl from a small syringe being careful as to not get it in the speakers. Clean it FAST however because you don't want the isopropyl to degrade the glue used to seal the port. After rinse out gently used compressed air to blow out / blow dry the remaining alcohol (watch out for yours and other's eyes!).

usermuv5upN3a9
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

thank you my friend! worked 100 %.. i needed to do the last step as well - plug in charger and reboot from recovery menu with the charger left plugged in.. works fine now.. thanks again!

0 Likes
user7m78kxY1Ri
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Works great!
Had 0% battery when this happened, so phone was off but wouldn't charge. Couldn't perform the initial software steps (1-13), so performed only steps 15-18 starting at a powered-off phone.

For me the final step was also neccessary - didn't work without it.

Once phone was restarted, it turned off automatically (due to 0% battery), but charging worked once I connected the charger.

0 Likes
userZBngL7WZgz
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

The Go To Solution did not work for me.  I have a Note 10 Plus, less than a year old. I first checked the port for moisture.  Dry as a bone.  I powered the phone off and cleaned the port with denatured alcohol and cleaning cloth anyway and made sure to get both sides of the pins. Dried the area thoroughly. Powered back on, still received the moisture alert. Tried a different Samsung charger, different Samsung cable, same error.  I tried Safe mode. Alert still appears so it is not being caused by a 3rd party app. Wiped cache, as instructed in the Go To Solution, restarted, still have the moisture alert icon.  A suggestion from a Youtube video said to try this.  Go to Settings/Apps/System Apps/ USBSettings/Storage and cleared Cache and Data, restarted and the alert still  appeared.   I don't want to do a factory reset yet. I guess I'll have to take it in for repair to UBREAKIFIX location.  The new iPhone 12 Max is looking better and better.