JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

What did I unlock on my S10 wifi?

(Topic created: 11-15-2022 04:50 PM)
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I was looking for something on the wi-fi and I went to Settings | Connections | More connection settings.  At the bottom was something about "unlock wi-fi" or something similar.  I inadvertently tapped it.  Now I don't see that option anymore.  What did I unlock and how do I lock it again?

I see something there now about Private DNS which I don't remember seeing before.  What should that setting be?  I turned it to OFF.

I also see a grayed out "Ethernet" option there.  What is it and is it normally disabled?

I'd hate to have to do a factory reset again just to get back whatever I inadvertently triggered.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Apparently, on other carriers, at least, after the "Network unlock" option is tapped, a subsequent dialog may off different types of unlock, like "temporary" or "permanent".  My phone didn't do that.  The option just disappeared.  I'm guessing AT&T chose to ignore the request to unlock that is probably built-in for Android.  When I talked to AT&T, they said the phone is still locked, but they can unlock it, or I can go to the AT&T web site and unlock it there.

Seems dumb.  Thanks AT&T.

View solution in context

5 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Mtiede Ethernet will be grayed out until you are hardwired to an Ethernet connection. 

Options
Galaxy S Phones
It will send your IP address to the overlords who demand immediate surrender whilst using your data to create more like you. 🤓
Solution
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Apparently, on other carriers, at least, after the "Network unlock" option is tapped, a subsequent dialog may off different types of unlock, like "temporary" or "permanent".  My phone didn't do that.  The option just disappeared.  I'm guessing AT&T chose to ignore the request to unlock that is probably built-in for Android.  When I talked to AT&T, they said the phone is still locked, but they can unlock it, or I can go to the AT&T web site and unlock it there.

Seems dumb.  Thanks AT&T.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

buy an unlocked phone

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

mine is unlocked from amazon or you can unlock it from att