JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Forgot Pattern to Unlock

(Topic created: 05-18-2022 02:57 PM)
userE4jScMBJfw
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I just set up Pattern to unlock my Galaxy S21. I wanted to switch it back to Pin. However, when I go to Screen lock type it asks me for the current pattern. It doesn't accept what I believe I did set up. What do I do from here?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userE4jScMBJfw
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I had to run down the battery on the phone which took like 2 days since I couldn't actually use the phone (I did put on the LED light, though) and I just charged it to 100%. Then when I started the phone I could go into the basic settings to do a factory reset. 

From https://www.technipages.com/samsung-galaxy-s21-soft-hard-reset#:~:text=Open%20the%20Settings%20app%2....

1. Press and the Volume Up and Power button for up to five seconds.
  2. When the Samsung logo appears on the display, release the buttons.
  3. Use the Volume buttons to navigate to Wipe data/factory reset.
  4. Click the Power button to select the option.
  5. Scroll down using the Volume Up and Down buttons.
  6. Select Factory data reset and tap the Power button.

It's a bit of a pain because it takes so long with backing up the phone and restoring it and while the apps get installed you have to log in (if you remember the password), setup all your email accounts again, etc. etc. But I got it back.

1. Once complete, select Reboot system now using the Power button.

View solution in context

4 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Back everything up, then reset the phone to the factory settings.
userE4jScMBJfw
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Thanks for the quick response. Fortunately, I kept the screen on as otherwise I would have to put in the pattern to unlock to phone and do a backup. The backup just finished now. I tried to do a factory reset by going to Settings->General management->Reset->Factory data reset but it asks me for the pattern. I am factory resetting it because the pattern doesn't work!!! So how do I get out of this? Btw, now it will probably lock up in 10 minutes and then of course I can't get into the phone because the pattern doesn't work.

I also tried the hard reset via keys following this https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/hard-reset/#:~:text=Turn%20off%20your%20phone%2C%20the.... However, even turning the phone off requires the pattern which I don't know.

bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

If your phone is registered with Samsung.com, you can go to findmymobile.samsung.com and reset your pattern and other lock codes.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Solution
userE4jScMBJfw
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

I had to run down the battery on the phone which took like 2 days since I couldn't actually use the phone (I did put on the LED light, though) and I just charged it to 100%. Then when I started the phone I could go into the basic settings to do a factory reset. 

From https://www.technipages.com/samsung-galaxy-s21-soft-hard-reset#:~:text=Open%20the%20Settings%20app%2....

1. Press and the Volume Up and Power button for up to five seconds.
  2. When the Samsung logo appears on the display, release the buttons.
  3. Use the Volume buttons to navigate to Wipe data/factory reset.
  4. Click the Power button to select the option.
  5. Scroll down using the Volume Up and Down buttons.
  6. Select Factory data reset and tap the Power button.

It's a bit of a pain because it takes so long with backing up the phone and restoring it and while the apps get installed you have to log in (if you remember the password), setup all your email accounts again, etc. etc. But I got it back.

1. Once complete, select Reboot system now using the Power button.