Original topic:

Galaxy S21 ultra restarting after android 12 update

(Topic created: 11-21-2021 06:26 PM)
usergcktzispM8
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
2 days ago I updated to android 12, ever since then, my phone Is constantly and randomly restarted itself. The logs don't provide any help, but it was fine before this update.  What I might try is Samsung smart tutor, but if anybody has any advice that would be terrific.
16 Replies
MochaVex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Years ago my Galaxy Tab A did this going from Android 6 to 7. You'll probably have to reset the device and restore from a backup after.
0 Likes
usergcktzispM8
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
I sent the diagnostics and error logs to Samsung, so awaiting their response. I'll keep you posted.. It's just extremely surprising, because this isn't a Beta update, it's an actual official release it's That is crashing this much. There's another thread, that mentions app crashes, even after doing a reset. So yeah so I'm wondering if that would help, I hope so.
0 Likes
loserfreak210
Explorer
Options
Galaxy S21
Please let me know what you find out too. My phone constantly restarts itself. Ive done all of the recommended steps and still have issues.
BOBBY76
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Mine does the same thing it was fine until I updated 🙃 and runs hot gaming
0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for reaching out. I can certainly understand how frustrating it can be when your phone restarts itself repeatedly. There are a few things you can try. The first one would be to run your device in safe mode. If your phone or tablet is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe mode feature. In Safe mode, your device won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identify and remove the app that may be causing the problem. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

2. Wipe the cache partition on your device. The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly. Give these steps a try: 

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Side key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release both keys.
  4. An 'Installing system update' message may show briefly before the Android Recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight Wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Side key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight Yes, then press the Side key to select.
  8. When the process is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Side key to restart the device.

3. Factory reset your device. Important: Please save any information you need prior to the factory reset because your personal information may not be recovered. If you have encrypted the microSD card, you must decrypt it before resetting the phone. Otherwise, your phone will not be able to read the data on the card. From Settings, search for and select Decrypt SD card, and then follow the on-screen prompts.

Before you perform a factory reset, be sure to back up your personal data, so you don't lose it all. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user4ZaSyTOtZx
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

"In Safe mode, your device won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identify and remove the app that may be causing the problem."

Can you please explain how running the device in Safe Mode identifies which 3rd party app is causing the problem rather than just identifying that it is a 3rd party app that is the cause?

Thanks in advance
J

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy S21

Thank you for following up, J. Using safe mode will help determine if it's a third-party app causing the symptoms you are experiencing. We usually recommend starting with the most recently installed apps to rule out the symptoms. When we state that safe mode will help you easily identify the app causing the symptoms, we mean that it helps you rule out which apps aren't the cause by showing you the apps that are able to run in safe mode, lowering the number of apps needing to be ruled out. However, after further research, I would recommend giving these steps a try first: 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user7ZnzyOCqUp
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S21
I updated my S21 Ultra to android 12. Has anyone else had a issue with it freezing often and restarting? What can I do to fix this?
Sandyvaskez
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
A lot of people including me.
0 Likes