JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Overheating Problems on S21

(Topic created: 02-03-2021 10:28 PM)
musepharaoh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21

I just got my Galaxy S21 yesterday and it is amazing, fast, and looks beautiful but there is one major problem I've been having with it. If I try to do any sort of multitasking, the phone heats up to uncomfortable levels and displays a warning that it is too hot and for me to try split screen or pop up view when it cools down. For a phone that is supposed to be great at multitasking, this is a major flaw. I believe that this can be fixed through software optimization but as of right now this is very disappointing. I haven't even been using 5G yet. On my old Note 10±, I could run so many things at once without the phone even getting very hot but this one overheats easily. Even when charging, my note charges without getting so hot. This really needs to be fixed soon. I can't even run a youtube video in pip while browsing the web because it will overheat the phone. And it's strange because battery life so far has been phenomenal! I've gotten 2 days on one charge. Also, I saw that they recommended using the phone in environments between 50°-100° and my house is always at 70° or so which means that the phone should be running fine.

Update: I have since found out that one of the causes of the overheating is due to the 5G on this phone. When my phone is connected to my home wifi but I don't turn my mobile data off, it overheats and is very hot to the touch but after turning off my mobile data, the problem appears to be gone though not really since you should be able to keep your data on with wifi without overheating your phone. So just a heads-up until Samsung decides to fix this, make sure you keep your mobile data turned off when using a wifi network because the data syncing in the background is too much for the phone. So much for a "power efficient" processor I guess. This is really sad to see because now it seems that the Snapdragon variant is the one with the overheating as well as the Exynos so it's not necessarily a chip problem but more likely a problem with the 5G modem sapping too much power. SMH Samsung please fix this.😔

Update 2: After using my phone for a few hours, it seems that the problem has appeared again even with data off. I guess that using multi-window or picture in picture also causes the device to overheat. I had youtube in pip mode while staying g on the home screen and no other apps open yet, the phone still overheated. The image below is of me using pip on YouTube while browsing a website on Google.

153 Replies
Gladiolus
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
could've been a defective unit maybe try getting another one & hopefully the newer unit isn't defective
userw8qanhi3cy
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
Dear Samsung R&D Department, 

We noticed the new Galaxy S21 has a SERIOUS overheating issue. It gets hot easily when recording 4K videos or streaming 4K contents and overall gaming. The major overheating problem happened was when my phone is downloading the 1st major OTA update over mobile data with speed under 50 KB/s with 1 bar reception. The download was running in the background for an hour and the phone gets extremely hot, unbearable to the touch. I did not use the phone during the downloading of the update. I had to completely shut down the phone due to the risks that it might explode and catch fire that can cause injury or death. I waited 30 minutes for it to cool down and turn it back on and I then terminated the update due to painfully slow downloading speed in my hotel because of poor reception. 

This overheating issue is due to poor quality control during the manufacturing process and R&D development. Your engineers failed to make better cooling solution on this new Galaxy S21. Your QC team and testers also failed to test and detect this major problem before releasing it. You rush to release without putting more effort in QC and testing and this is the product you sell to the public. Bad move Samsung, we are so disappointed. All previous Galaxy S series never have this overheating issue besides the Galaxy Note7 explosion. 

You need to stop the system (OS) from auto updating whenever the phone is on mobile data instead of Wifi.

Please let us know if you can fix this issue through firmware update. If not then you will see massive returns from your customers.

We noticed you cut so many corners in producing your high-end phones starting with the Galaxy S20 series. A good example is the removal of the MicroSD card slot and charger. Cutting corners on high end products is unacceptable and it shows.

A quick search on the Internet and we found many people ran into the same problem with their new Galaxy S21. This is just only a small number of people taking time to report it, the majority don't want to waste their time reporting it.

So please look into it and make it better.

Regards,

Sunny
usermwj82
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
had the same issue and they told me it was normal. I've already returned my s21
0 Likes
userF84CcAOVX9
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

Same overheating issues as well. What's the solution? Replace the device? I already sent in my old galaxy phone for the trade im  so it seems I'm doomed. 

Samsung_IKRAzBM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S21

My phone charges kind of fast (around 3000 mA) when I first plug it in. Nowhere near the almost 5000 mA my S20 Ultra reaches in the beginning. BOTH of my phones throttle charging as they heat up, cause you know safety. However, the difference is the rate of overheating. My s20 ultra charges for way longer at higher speeds before slowing down due to heat. My s21 ultra takes maybe 5 minutes? before it starts to heat up and slow down charging to roughly 1500 mA. 

I have mixed the wires and charging pad and same results both times. samsung brick and wire and anker brick and wire (even when mixed) don't make a difference. I tried taking off my case and still heated up pretty fast (i have the leather case from Samsung). I tried *not using the phone* and it still heated up relatively fast. 

I have to decide to send back my old phone for trade in or send back my new phone + all the accessories and idk. Its kinda sad because the s21 has a lot of quality of life improvements that I prefer but the charging is a huge buzz kill

drew272011
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
return mine already
0 Likes
GZ2fold
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
What is your main worry: the time it takes to charge or the heat being generated? Is it taking about 5 minutes to charge both phones or is one phone taking a minute longer than the other? I have the feeling that you are charging the phones not only using induction rather than to plug electrical wires in them, but you are trying to increase the speed and rate of charging them by using a more powerful charging system than prescribed by the manufacturer. Whatever speed and efficiency you may have gained, in a long term strategic common sense value, you may be quietly and gently destroying the phone and batteries with excess heat and vibration and ultimately shorten the life of the phone and the value of its components. If I were you, I would use the old fashioned plug in wires and reap the benefits of long term care so the phone and its technology pays for itself.
DavidKingTN
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21
I've had overheating issues while using duo, it'll get to the point where it shuts down features or just resets itself. It's gotta be some type of software flaw cause my s20 did not get hot at all hardly.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21

So if you haven't updated to the February update for the s21 ultra, don't. You'll want to skip this. When recording like 5 minutes of video the entire phone overheated and shut down. I was able to replicate this behavior over and over.

Update: clearing cache and factory reset did nothing to resolve the issue. Samsung needs to fix it with an update.

Update 2: rolling back to January rom using Odin fixes the issue. Do so at your own albeit minimal risk, but it does fix the issue.

x-TURBO-x
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S21
not for me. my phone is good temp wise
0 Likes