Original topic:

S21 went black after update then shut off

(Topic created: 08-03-2022 05:32 PM)
allykat12
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Hello,

I have always had Samsung products/devices. I have never really had any issues at all. I purchased a Samsung Galaxy 21 in March 2021. I love(d) this phone.  My phone was working perfectly fine. I put it on the charger last night as I always do. I saw a system update started. I fell asleep. Woke up this morning to my phone having a jet black screen. It was powered on. I was able to make calls in my car using blue tooth. After a few hours, it shut off. I was on the phone with my carrier. They ran tests. I even took it into a store and they tried to see what the issue was but could not. I just don't understand how my phone was perfect and then an update runs and destroys my phone. This update ran last evening (August 2, 2022). Has anyone else ever experienced something like this? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
5 Replies
Ariscott56
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S21
Nope, but the phone must be DOA
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21
Something definitely messed up in the process. Could potentially be the display drivers. Try this:
1. Power off the phone.
2. Hold the power button and the volume up button
3. When the screen lights up, let go of the power button, but keep holding volume up
4. If it the screen is on, good, it just means your OS is broken
5. Try repairing the apps, clearing cache, or even factory resetting.
6. You may need someone to reinstall your OS with ODIN for you (I know how but I don't own a business to help people with stuff like this lol)

If it doesn't work, then your display may have broken over night, was it in bed with you?
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Try a reset.  Press and Hold he power and Vol down keys until the phone reboots.  You may want to try this a few times.

If still black, try to get to the recovery menu by Press and hold the Power and Vol Up keys until you see the logo begin to appear.  Again you might want to try this a few times.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S21
Take back to store have them turn it on in safe mode then factory rest then reboot phone go through sign back in to Google and Samsung accounts then install updates do the phone update before doing any Google ond Samsung updates
0 Likes
jaxsonk
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Yes,all the time. Sign into your samsung account annoying. Every time the battery goes dead, all my settings change too?!!
0 Likes