JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S22 Ultra randomly factory reset

(Topic created: 08-02-2022 09:09 PM)
Chaner
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

What would cause my S22 Ultra to randomly do a factory reset?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CrescentFade
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Do you have biometrics security enabled, particularly fingerprint scanning? There is a setting that enables the device to automatically factory delete all data after so many failed login or unlock attempts.
Yes it's possible to trigger a failed unlock attempt while the device is in your pocket (done it) depending on the device and placement of the sensor. Also anyone that attempts to login or unlock the device and fails gets closer to the phone doing a factory reset. 10, 9, 8, etc, until either the correct password or pin is used and the count is reset or it reaches zero and the phone erases itself.
The setting can be found in Settings>Lock Screen>Secure Lock Settings.

View solution in context

6 Replies
LauraRG
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Random factory reset? Never heard of that happening so far. 🤔 what were you doing prior to the factory reset?
0 Likes
Chaner
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Phone was in my pocket, I pulled my phone out and it was powered off. Turned it on and factory reset had happened
0 Likes
LauraRG
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Wow maybe your pocket did something 🤔 I know when I pull mine out of my pocket sometimes it will have taken pictures and pulled up settings and stuff but I had to turn on accidental touch protection for it to stop.Screenshot_20220802-225416_Settings.jpg
Solution
CrescentFade
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Do you have biometrics security enabled, particularly fingerprint scanning? There is a setting that enables the device to automatically factory delete all data after so many failed login or unlock attempts.
Yes it's possible to trigger a failed unlock attempt while the device is in your pocket (done it) depending on the device and placement of the sensor. Also anyone that attempts to login or unlock the device and fails gets closer to the phone doing a factory reset. 10, 9, 8, etc, until either the correct password or pin is used and the count is reset or it reaches zero and the phone erases itself.
The setting can be found in Settings>Lock Screen>Secure Lock Settings.
DatGuy_Shawnaay
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
I think to add to this, you can also remotely factory reset a device from a nother computer through find my phone so if someone had access to your Samsung account, this could also be another way.
User_name
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22

maybe buttons were pressed by accident in your pocket?