Original topic:

S Pen won't select text field

(Topic created: 05-15-2023 04:47 AM)
The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
There are often times when I will tap on a text field with my S23 Ultra S Pen, but the keyboard will not come up for me to enter text. I have to tap the text field with my fingertip to bring up the keyboard. This happens more often than not, both in apps and websites.

Samsung, please have your development team look at a fix for an update soon. Thanks.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Gossipfunda
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23

I can suggest a few potential solutions to address this issue:

1. Check S Pen Settings: Make sure that the S Pen settings on your device are configured correctly. Go to the Settings app, search for "S Pen," and review the available options. Ensure that the "Air Actions" or similar feature is enabled, as it allows you to interact with your device using the S Pen.

2. Restart the Device: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches or software conflicts. Try restarting your Galaxy S23 Ultra by holding down the power button and selecting "Restart" or "Reboot" from the menu that appears.

3. S Pen Calibration: In the S Pen settings, you may find an option to calibrate or recalibrate the S Pen. This process can help ensure that the S Pen's touch input is accurately recognized by the device. Follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate the S Pen and see if it improves the responsiveness when tapping text fields.

4. Clear App Cache/Data: If the issue is specific to certain apps, you can try clearing the cache and data of those apps. Go to the Settings app, select "Apps" or "Application Manager," find the relevant app(s), and choose "Clear cache" and "Clear data." Please note that clearing data may result in the loss of app-specific settings or data, so proceed with caution and consider backing up important app data if necessary.

5. Update Software: Ensure that your device's software, including the S Pen firmware, is up to date. Check for any available system updates by going to Settings > Software Update and installing any pending updates. System updates often include bug fixes and improvements that can address various issues.

The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
Thanks for your thoughtful suggestions, but Air Actions has nothing to do with tapping a field to enter text - and if I can select the field with my fingertip, the app or browser is not the problem.

This issue is common to both my S23 Ultra and my Darling Bride's (we have the same model phone), so it has to be something in the firmware that persists across a restart. We have no option to calibrate the S Pen, which is dead accurate, but I did increase screen sensitivity in Display settings, so we'll see if that helps.
0 Likes
uriktm
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

Uninstall all keywords app.

Go to Samsung keyboard settings, turn off

"s pen to text" 

0 Likes
ArminAkhlagh
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

its a bug
hold spen on text field and when the toolbar (copy/paste/undo...) comes select "clipboard"

also like another one said "Go to Samsung keyboard settings, turn off "s pen to text" .

also can work.

0 Likes
The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
I have long turned off S Pen to Text, so I'll try other methods. I also found a way to use Gboard again with the S Pen, so I don't use Samsung Keyboard (I would but the alternate characters are too dark and I can barely see them).
0 Likes