Original topic:

M8 Hub question

(Topic created: 08-04-2022 01:10 PM)
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory

I currently have a DeX setup using my Tab S8 Ultra and an HD monitor.  I connect via a USB-C hub which has built in HDMI and 1gE for the tablet.

If I had the M8, I would connect to it with USB-C and would like to plug my current hub into the Samsung Hub and connect the 1gE through the hub to my tablet.  Will this work?

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
10 Replies
user2izICAzi7k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory
Yes, this works. I've done this with my S22 Ultra also. I have noticed the refresh rate lagging a bit in this configuration. Switching the device connection directly to the hub that is connected to the TV/monitor seems to resolve the issue.
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

Interesting.  I;m not sure if my  hub, which has HDMI connector, can use the usbc data connection for video as well....is that what you're suggesting you need to do

?  Device->ext hub->monitor usbc-video in

Thanks

And do you like the M8?

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

And honestly, there is zero lag in my current setup so if the M7 is an adequate monitor, I would connect it via HDMI like currently, and at $329 it's tempting.  

Bill
---
0 Likes
user2izICAzi7k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory
Is the 1ge coming from a phone or a router?
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

Router

Bill
---
0 Likes
user2izICAzi7k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory
Unless you need the ports from the additional hub, you can simply just device>hub>hdmi to display, and add ethernet cable to hub. This depends on the layouut of your particular hub, of course.
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

That's how I do it now, I was just trying to determine of I could get away with only the USB-c from my Tab to the monitor, and then hang my current USB c hub off the back of the monitor (hub) and pass it's 1gE to my tab.

Bill
---
0 Likes
Solution
user2izICAzi7k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory
In that configuration, you would still need a connection between the tab itself, and the hub connected to the monitor, yes. I misunderstood that you were trying to eliminate one of the hubs i think. I got a replacement hub that contains usb-c hardwire for main device connection, hdmi, ethernet, usb-a, usb-c port, and display, so i was able to condense it all down to one hub. The hub can also be independently powered to allow the phone/tab to charge
bill-e
Options
Monitors and Memory

hub that contains usb-c hardwire for main device connection, hdmi, ethernet, usb-a, usb-c port, and display, so i was able to condense it all down to one hub. The hub can also be independently powered to allow the phone/tab to charge

OK, that is my current setup into an Asus 1080p monitor so no matter what I buy, I will stay with that.

I just realized that I have $228 in Samsung credit which makes my decision a little tougher.  They are selling the M7 at $277 so my out of pocket would be $49 and the M8 at $539 would be $301

Since I'm not going to be able to take advantage of any of the new connection features on the M8 and I don't need the camera because of the Tab S8U, I can cross those off as added value.  I do like the stand and thin design of the M8 and some of the added smart features but how much better is the M8 display I wonder.  100nits better brightness, is that the main display fifference, that and HDR10+ vs 10??

Thoughts anyone?

Bill
---
0 Likes