Original topic:

Smarthub Questions

(Topic created: 10-29-2023 07:49 AM)
rpratali
Constellation
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

I recently acquired a used (excellent condition) Samsung UN55J6201AFXZA 55" Smart TV.  The first thing I did was to do a factory reset to clear all previous settings, etc.  Afterwards I went through the settings to setup the TV as I wanted.  When I was finished I attempted to install some apps from the smarthub.  No matter which app I attempt to install I get an error stating "Failed to download.(3010).  Doing another factor reset, resetting the smarthub, unplugging the TV, pressing the power off button and holding for 5-8 seconds, etc. did not help.  I did some searching on the Internet and found a few tips.  One tip was to change the TV input to "TV".  That did not help.  I also switched from my home WiFi to my smartphone's hotspot.  That did not help.  I also ran a new CAT6 cable from my home router to my TV.  That did not help.  One tip I found suggested changing the DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.  I even took Samsung's tech support suggestion and set DNS to Samsung's server:  4.2.2.1.  Those did not help.  I also found a suggestion online that said to change the country of origin for the TV from USA to another country.  This produced some interesting results.  When switching from USA to another country, I noticed in smarthub that new default apps automatically got installed that were different from the default apps available when the TV was set to USA.  The new default apps varied depending on which country I choose.  Also, some apps got deleted depending on which country I chose.  I also noticed that for some countries (ex. Denmark) I was able to download and install some apps (ex. a weather app).  However, I could never find a country that would allow me to install Netflix.  For some countries, Netflix would appear to be preinstalled, but it would be greyed out.  All of this proves that my TV is properly connected to the Internet, is capable of downloading and installing certain apps, etc.

I did call Samsung smart TV support twice.  Both calls were useless and both techs stating there must be something wrong with the main system board and that I needed to place a service call.  The TV is 4-5 years old and I got it for free.  I'm not going to spend $75 or more for a service call on a TV of this age /  I got for free.  Especially when the TV is capable of downloading and installing some apps (not Netflix) when set to certain non-USA countries.

My question to the group is, are there certain settings I need to configure my TV so that I can properly download all apps (including Netflix)?  DNS settings, certain country locations (USA or other)?  I honestly don't believe its a problem with the system board, etc.  I believe its a settings issue.

NOTE:  I found an article online that provided instructions on how to use the TV remote to get into a TV diagnostic mode (don't remember the key sequence).  From within the diagnostic screen there was an option to manually reset the smarthub settings.  Did did not work for me.  I was wondering if anyone know the key sequence to enter diagnostic mode (I can remember) and if there is anything from within the diagnostic mode that I can set, clear, etc. fix my issues.

Please respond ASAP with any suggestions.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JBTechfanatic
Black Hole
Options
Projectors & Other TVs
Connecting your TV and getting apps is pretty simple. you need to connect to a supported Wi-Fi network that has a supported WPA security type. which is likely going to be WPA2 at best since the TV is a little bit older then a 2.4 or 5 GHz Network. In your router settings make sure you have selected WPA2 security type for the network you're trying to connect to make sure the router is close enough to give you a nice full signal to your TV. When I think is happening to you is whoever owned the TV before never disassociated your TV with their Samsung account thus the TV is not allowing you to use its Network I think it's worth a try to contact who you purchase it from and ask them to delete this TV and there's Samsung SmartThings account on this tv. They can do this by logging into their Samsung SmartThings account then logging into their Samsung account and deleting this TV serial number from each respective location. Also you can run an ethernet cable to the back of your TV just to see if that will get it to connect if Wi-Fi is consistently not allowing you to get your apps.

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
JBTechfanatic
Black Hole
Options
Projectors & Other TVs
Connecting your TV and getting apps is pretty simple. you need to connect to a supported Wi-Fi network that has a supported WPA security type. which is likely going to be WPA2 at best since the TV is a little bit older then a 2.4 or 5 GHz Network. In your router settings make sure you have selected WPA2 security type for the network you're trying to connect to make sure the router is close enough to give you a nice full signal to your TV. When I think is happening to you is whoever owned the TV before never disassociated your TV with their Samsung account thus the TV is not allowing you to use its Network I think it's worth a try to contact who you purchase it from and ask them to delete this TV and there's Samsung SmartThings account on this tv. They can do this by logging into their Samsung SmartThings account then logging into their Samsung account and deleting this TV serial number from each respective location. Also you can run an ethernet cable to the back of your TV just to see if that will get it to connect if Wi-Fi is consistently not allowing you to get your apps.
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! If the suggestions from @JBTechfanatic do not help then I would recommend reaching out to our SmartThings community for help also. You can use this link https://community.smartthings.com/