Original topic:

S95D audio source changes

(Topic created: 4 weeks ago)
GordonM59
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

I have a Samsung Q900A soundbar connected via an eARC HDMI 2.1 cable to my S95D Connect box. I'm using the eARC port on the Connect box for this. Unfortunately the Connect box only has 3 other HDMI ports and I have 5 other sources, so I'm trying to use an HDMI switch to connect some of the sources to the Connect box. The switch is a quality 8k HDMI 2.1 switch. 

The problem is that the audio source setting in the TV keeps leaving the soundbar selection and goes to TV sound. If I disconnect the HDMI switch I can get the soundbar selection to stick in the settings. If I connect the switch again the setting changes back to TV sound.

Things I've tried ("fails" means TV audio setting changes to TV sound from soundbar):
  • HDMI switch connected to One Connect but with nothing connected to the switch = fails
  • disconnect HDMI cable from switch and connect to bluray player or xbox directly to One Connect = works

Any idea on how to make the audio setting stick?
Any idea on how the HDMI switch is causing this problem? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
GordonM59
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Problem solved!

Back to fiddling with the HDMI switch, I disabled the auto switching feature and reconnected the switch to the One Connect.  Before this caused the TV setting to switch to TV sound, but with the switch's auto mode disabled the TV audio setting didn't change.  I connected my bluray, Xbox, and receiver to the HDMI switch and switched between all of them manually and the TV audio setting remained on the soundbar.

View solution in context

7 Replies
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

The fact that it fails with just the switch connected suggests to me that it is the switch causing the issue.  Is it possible to try another, different switch?  Maybe buy one that is returnable from Amazon? 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV
0 Likes
GordonM59
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Thanks for your reply Bill.

The switch supports current tech (8K, HDMI 2.1, HDCP 2.3, CEC) so I'm not optimistic that any other switch would be any different.  I have considered returning the switch, but then I wouldn't be able to troubleshoot further.

What I'd really like to understand is what is happening.  Then I could think about a solution. 

I was thinking that CEC might somehow be involved.  I saw that in someway CEC, HDMI & ARC play together.  I confirmed that all components support CEC and are enabled.  All of my HDMI components and cables are new 2.1 8k compatible.  Of course it's possible there's a bad cable, but I'd like to explore tech issues first.

The crux of the issue is that on a different HDMI port something is happening that is either (a) causing the HDMI eARC connection to the soundbar to fail or (b) triggering an audio setting change in the TV or (c) ???  When I go into the TV audio settings the eARC soundbar option is there, just not selected.  And if I select the soundbar option it tries but fails to work and goes back to TV sound.  That's probably a big clue right there.  The TV knows about the HDMI eARC soundbar, but the other HDMI port connection to the switch blocks it from working\connecting.  Once the switch is disconnected, and the TV power cycled, the eARC soundbar audio option works.

0 Likes
bill-e
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

My first thought was CEC as well but then the fact that the switch with nothing connected caused the fail says to me that there is something going on there.  I was just suggesting that to eliminate the switch either being bad or not compatible with you or setup, another one from Amazon Prime or Best Buy where you could return it would be a way to eliminate the switch. 

Not being an expert on CEC, can uou disable CEC for the device that the audio is switching to in order to see if that's caausing the issue? 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV
0 Likes
GordonM59
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

With the HDMI switch disconnected I tried disabling the TV's AnyNet+ (HDMI CEC), but this then created a new problem connecting to the soundbar.  Both TV and soundbar are newer Samsung devices so not sure what the problem was with that.  Power cycling didn't help.  I had to re-enable AnyNet to get back to the soundbar.

0 Likes
GordonM59
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Bill, thank you for taking the time to throw me some ideas.

Solution
GordonM59
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Problem solved!

Back to fiddling with the HDMI switch, I disabled the auto switching feature and reconnected the switch to the One Connect.  Before this caused the TV setting to switch to TV sound, but with the switch's auto mode disabled the TV audio setting didn't change.  I connected my bluray, Xbox, and receiver to the HDMI switch and switched between all of them manually and the TV audio setting remained on the soundbar.

bill-e
Options
QLED and The Frame TVs

Good News! 

Bill
---
0 Likes