Original topic:

32” Frame TV - How to turn off auto-rotate for HDMI source (portrait mode)

(Topic created: 07-05-2021 03:56 PM)
userzDA8tAfJqw
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have a new 32” Frame TV installed in portrait (vertical) mode. The TV functions well. When I plug into HDMI, my video is horizontal on the vertical screen. It’s as if I have a 15” monitor in the middle of the 32” vertical screen (grey bars above and below). 

What can I do to get the screen to not turn my HDMI input?

I am using a Raspberry Pi for my HDMI device and am rotating my content, so if the Frame TV would just behave a little dumber (not auto-rotate inputs when I turn the TV), I would be all set. 

Is there some setting for “Turn off auto-rotate of HDMI devices”?

13 Replies
user1hRvfmivGd
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

There was a 10-page thread here on the forums which Samsung has locked down. Concerned that any new thread would be deleted too, someone made a post on Reddit about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/samsung/comments/o3p3at/samsung_the_frame_auto_rotates_keeps_content_169/

Short answer is: No, it's not possible. And Samsung has not shown any indication that it will be fixed either.

userFa43WfFb3F
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I had this same issue and tried all sorts of tricks.  I ended up returning the TV out of frustration.    Too bad the TV does not have feature to disable the auto rotate.

userIGDnc6MDdH
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

This TV is advertised as being able to rotate! That is the ONLY reason I bought it.. it is ridiculous that people are unable to turn off the auto rotate feature. Is it possible to add this options in the menu? 

usern3qAQKZmCK
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

It's silly that a TV that doesn't have a rotation sensor would actually work better. What's the purpose of rotating the TV when most content displays huge black bars? Support for this product is poor and prices reflect how unusable this product is.

usersbgHB7IHBn
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have a new 32" Frame and I had the same issue - using a Raspberry Pi via HDMI 1, I couldn't get the display to show the way I wanted in portrait mode. I did come up with a solution - the program I'm using has a unique URL, so I used the internet option on the TV, entered in the URL, and the display is working - full screen, in portrait mode. I set the tabs and address bar to not display and it looks great. Not sure if this will be helpful to anyone, but thought I would share.

usercM1hPDa1du
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I got two ’21 The Frame 32”s just because the seller ensured me that any picture format will rotate and scale anyway you want, he even said he had been in Samsungs training for the device - and now after unboxing the first one I am realizing the false marketing. What to do, Samsung?

0 Likes
userDvIlM4Cgnv
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

exactly the same for me =(

0 Likes
user7E2cDAayyE
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

I am wanting to buy a 32" Frame to hang in portrait mode(vertically) in my kitchen. I am planning to run DAKboard straight from the internet.  Based on what you have said it sounds like this would be possible...2 questions:

1.  What mount did you use to hang your 32" Frame vertically?

2. How do you change the display to portrait mode?

0 Likes
userZ3aGX6Usmb
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Try the following with the TV physically in the vertical portrait position.

Select HDMI Source

Select Internet App (This will display browser in full portrait screen)

Then Exit the Internet App (Back button on remote and Exit app)

HDMI Input should display in full screen Portrait.

This currently works with a Windows PC connected to HDMI 1.