Original topic:

QN90A eARC only available on port 3

(Topic created: 06-10-2022 04:08 PM)
Chesterfried
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

I just got a receiver with three HDMI 2.1 inputs and one 2.1 output thinking it would solve my issue of only having one HDMI 2.1 port, but I quickly found that eARC is only enabled on port 3 which is a 2.0 port. I know eARC is a HDMI 2.1 feature, so is there any chance Samsung can add eARC support to the 2.1 port via a firmware update?

10 Replies
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
Unfortunately there is no way to Flash a Hdmi port via a firmware update, the Hdmi 2.1 port is a Physical Hardware port that cannot be Flashed ,Please note that the Qn90a Qled TV just released a Firmware update on May 31 ,Ver 2001.3 and you should be able to update via the Support page on your TV settings, if you are unable to update Via the Software Update tool you can download the firmware on a PC and then save the file to a USB flash drive which will allow you to manually flash your TV ,please see the attached link for the Qn90a Qled TV https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/model/QA75QN90AAUXTW/
0 Likes
Chesterfried
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Then how are Samsung and other manufacturers adding additional features to their HDMI ports, including eARC support? If an HDMI port is to industry specifications, this could most certainly be added via a firmware update as the necessary hardware is already in place. For example, earc is not a native feature of 2.0 ports, the functionality is added via firmware.

0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
Sorry for the late reply, I do agree with you on adding the Support for eARC via a firmware update, but I don't think Samsung will be doing this ,what is really strange is that Samsung Qn95a is the exact same model as the Qn90a but it only available in the European market and it Has full Hdmi 2.1 support but it uses the Samsung one Connect box but every thing else is pretty much the same, the Qn9na supports professional Calibration via a Samsung Galaxy phone series 2019 and above and the Qn90a doesn't support that feature, so I agree with you that a firmware update could add more features to make this tv even better
0 Likes
Chesterfried
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Does Samsung have an official avenue for feature requests or is this it?

0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
The department would be the Samsung display division, please see the attached link for further information https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/support/faq
0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
The display Department is the best way to try to request the feature, please note that I have the same exact Samsung tv as you, and if you get a response from them can you please reach out to me with any information on your interaction, you can direct message me, hopefully together we can get answers to reason why the chipset and Pcm main board can't be updated to Hdmi 2.1 full support
0 Likes
userRg3XAyk8s3
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

My QN90a with HW-Q900a sound bar has recently began losing eARC connection that can only be restored with a power reboot of soundbar, or disconnecting all devices powering on tv & soundbar, reconnect eARC cable and allowing tv & soundbar to establish eARC connection. Reconnect devices. Then anytime turn off TV/soundbar, it will come back on with TV only speakers. There is then an option in settings/sound for soundbar via wi-fi and TV/soundbar via wi-fi, but no option for soundbar via eARC. I believe this may have happened when TV updated to 2001.3, as that is the version it shows, and this only started within the past week or so.

0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
Try Installing Samsung smartthings you can configure the Soundbar within the app, also your tv has to be set on Auto eARC and Hdmi Cec must be enabled plus Try turning off Input plus, but if you install Samsung smartthings you can control all features of the Soundbar, one Last option is to do a full factory reset on the TV and Soundbar, and then use SmartThings to setup both devices, the ,Key thing is that All of your Devices Need to be Turned On ,cable box, Soundbar, Gaming Etc, the SmartThings application will configure All the settings Correctly
0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
I also received a possible update that on June 30 all Samsung tv's are getting a new firmware update, the reason is that Some models we be getting the New Samsung Gaming Hub that allows you to play Xbox games without a Physical Xbox, it's all going to be cloud based
0 Likes