JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

The Frame 50" 2021: JPG files won't save even though true JPG and within pixel limits. Solution?

(Topic created: 11-24-2021 03:26 PM)
Rick_MillCreek
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have my own fine art photographs, trying to add them to My Collection, can't.  They're true JPGs, resolution 3840x2160.

When I try to save them from thumb drive to My Collection, an error message says "...either not JPG format or not within resolution limits..." and fails.

However, as proof that they are true and proper JPGs and well within resolution limits, they display perfectly when I "play" them rapidly from the thumb drive (Source).  But, I want to show them as Art so that I can use full Art functionality, like 4 hours per image, like motion detection, etc etc.

Why do I get this false error message?  Thank you.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Rick_MillCreek
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

99.99% solved.  New info:

The JPGs have always been fine the way I've been saving them.  But, each time I re-inserted the thumb drive to give The Frame more images, the USB port wasn't polled to discover the new images.  I'm doing so many, to load up my Art, that I didn't notice that by just "Selecting All" while in Art mode I was re-selecting images (on the screen) that were no longer on the thumb drive.  It got confused and gave me an error message.

By just futzing around, viewing the new images using Home|Source|Thumb I could see my new images but only by going back & forth, and turning off the Frame and then back on, then and only then does The Frame recognize the new images for saving into MyPhotos.

The fix is solid, so I am good now.  All I need now is to learn the 'secret' for how to get The Frame to quickly re-poll the thumb drive to recognize the new images for saving into Art Mode.  I think that happens each time the TV is turned off, then back on, with the thumb drive left in?

I'll optimize myself.  Even at this point, I Am Good.

--Rick

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame

I understand this is frustrating for you. What size flash drive are you using, and is it formatted exFAT or FAT32?

0 Likes
Rick_MillCreek
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

The problem is solved.  It was not the flash drive size or formatting.

By re-exporting each file as a PNG file, with the same settings as for JPG, everything works well.  The files are double in size this way, but no matter since the TV gives me 6GB and now 100 files will use ~1.5GB rather than ~750MB.  At my rate of fine art photography output, I should be good for 2-3 more years.

Save settings are:  3840x2160, 24 bit depth (8 per channel).  JPG files were ~8MB each.  PNG files are ~15MB each.

Thank you for responding.

--Rick

0 Likes
Rick_MillCreek
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hmm, I wish I could re-open this as Not Yet Solved?

Because, in a couple of years I'll be in the same situation.  I will have run out of room due to having to use a PNG file instead of a JPG file, and I still won't know why my good and proper JPG file failed where a PNG succeeded.  Again, 3840x2160, 8 bits per channel, exported using Photoshop.  The exported JPG file is rejected as "either not JPG format or exceeds resolution limits" (or something like that).  Yet the PNG file succeeds, at the same resolution yet of course at about double the size.  (Most JPGs are about 7MB and most PNGs are about 15MB each.)

Thanks.

--Rick

0 Likes
Solution
Rick_MillCreek
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

99.99% solved.  New info:

The JPGs have always been fine the way I've been saving them.  But, each time I re-inserted the thumb drive to give The Frame more images, the USB port wasn't polled to discover the new images.  I'm doing so many, to load up my Art, that I didn't notice that by just "Selecting All" while in Art mode I was re-selecting images (on the screen) that were no longer on the thumb drive.  It got confused and gave me an error message.

By just futzing around, viewing the new images using Home|Source|Thumb I could see my new images but only by going back & forth, and turning off the Frame and then back on, then and only then does The Frame recognize the new images for saving into MyPhotos.

The fix is solid, so I am good now.  All I need now is to learn the 'secret' for how to get The Frame to quickly re-poll the thumb drive to recognize the new images for saving into Art Mode.  I think that happens each time the TV is turned off, then back on, with the thumb drive left in?

I'll optimize myself.  Even at this point, I Am Good.

--Rick

0 Likes