Original topic:

Smart Things App & The Frame TV (43") - Unable to add custom photos for Art Mode & iOS HEIC support?

(Topic created: 09-12-2021 06:31 PM)
user2r9emOYSZs
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

I recently purchased a 43" The Frame and have had no end of grief trying to add photos from the Smart Things App on an iPhone (iOS 14.7.1). I am constantly presented with "To use this function, turn on The Frame and connect The Frame and your smartphone to the same local network."

I have tested this with the One Connect box connected via Ethernet, and via WiFi. Both are on the same VLAN as the WiFi on my iPhone.

There are two major issues that I have uncovered with this that need to be addressed by the developer (in my case the 43" version of The Frame):

1. Smart Things Art Mode photo selector does not work on iOS and simply displays "To use this function, turn on The Frame and connect The Frame and your smartphone to the same local network."
  2. Smart Things Art Mode photo selector does not natively support HEIC image formats in iOS.

The work arounds I have found for both of these issues are not ideal, but they seem to work reliably.

1. The only work around I have been able to find for this this is to make my mobile act as a mobile hotspot, and connect the TV to that to manage Art mode photos. Not ideal! Alternatively use a USB stick, however this does not provide the ability to have three photos in the one view like the app does.
  2. For the lack of support for native iPhone photos (HEIC), this requires a third party app on iOS ("The Frame Tool" to be installed, convert the file, and then add it back to he iOS photos app so that the Smart Things app can read it. Again, too many steps!!

Both of these are unnecessary complicated steps IMHO, and need to be addressed by the developers.

I am keen to hear from others on their experience in this space. It was an expensive TV, and my user experience has been sub-par. 

I am also keen to hear from the developers on what the app is ding technically, so that I can troubleshoot this further on my home network. 

0 Likes
3 Replies
allen42
Galaxy
Options
Qled and Frame
I get this problem all the time on all three of my frame TV's in different sizes. I use android and 90 percent of the time I get the same error. Randomly it will occasionally work. It needs fixed
0 Likes
user812daRzKP7
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

I have had this problem forever. First with my Frame TV 2018 and my Samsung S10 and now with my new Frame TV 2021 and my Galaxy Z Flip 3.

The problem I have is the message "To use this function, turn on The Frame and connect The Frame and your smartphone to the same local network" and the Art settings being greyed out - Also my Art membership does not register.

I found a solution which works most of the time. I go to my Phone WIFI and connect to another WIFI network. I  then I immediately reconnect to my WIFI network. I then close Smart Things and open it again and voilà, I no longer have the error message and I am able to access my Art settings.

Hope this works for you.

Incredible that this bug has not yet been corrected by Samsung...

0 Likes
froggles
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

Same problem, has persisted through every version of TV firmware and the app on my iPhone over the last 12 months or so. It's such an awful experience given the TV's Art mode is it's key selling feature. It takes about an hour of messing about any time I want to add any new photos to the art mode.

0 Likes