JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Magician Diagnostic Scan for 850 EVO 250GB returns "This drive is not supported."

(Topic created: 01-27-2021 02:53 PM)
jack63ss
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I saw a bunch of questions with this title, but I am running the version 6.2.1 for SamsungMagician and my SSD firmware is up-to-date. The system is Win 10 Professional on a Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R motherboard.What is the issue ?Samsung.jpg

I ask because the drive is running okay, but every couple of days doing a restart will cause Windows to run chkdsk. And it almost always finds something it had to repair. So I wanted to run a lower level diagnostic to see what was going on.

Thanks

0 Likes
4 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

In Magician, click Help, then Get Sarted, then Supported Features by Model.

The 850 series does not do diagnostics.

Your motherboard is so old it may have compatibility problems with newer high speed  SSDs.

Check with Gigabyte for possibly an updated bios though it won't change your Sata II to a Sata III interface.

0 Likes
jack63ss
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

So there are no diagnostics available for the 850 ? Are they available for the 860 series, as I am considering purchasing one of them.

0 Likes
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello jack63ss,

Yes, the 860 EVO does support diagnostic scan. But from what you described it sounds like your Windows installation is on its way out. I'd be hesitant to continue to use a windows installation that continuelly shows chkdsk errors, even after they are repaired. Not all Windows issues can be fixed.

0 Likes
Solution
jack63ss
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

What I find strange is this is a brand NEW Windows 10 installation with Win10 2020H2, which is the latest. And it is hosted on the 850. I have an idea I know how to stop the problem from occurring, but not what is causing it. And actually, if component prices had not gone out of sight, this was supposed to be a totally new system; mb, cpu, gpu, etc. Hopefully later this year.

Thanks for the info, Stay Safe,

Jack

0 Likes